Just picked up an old parade bike, 40's Doodlebug!

Rupp 72

Got this today on Craigslist, thirty minutes away. All the guy knew is that it was used in some local parades at some point in the bikes life. Can anybody tell me what specific model it might be? Also the tires are more of a grey rather than black, is that how they were, have they been replaced, or is that an effect due to aging? Any other info would be appreciated.
20150722_1520571.jpg 20150722_1521451.jpg 20150722_1522261.jpg 20150722_1522381.jpg

Got this today on Craigslist, thirty minutes away. All the guy knew is that it was used in some local parades at some point in the bikes life. Can anybody tell me what specific model it might be? Also the tires are more of a grey rather than black, is that how they were, have they been replaced, or is that an effect due to aging? Any other info would be appreciated.
View attachment 75602 View attachment 75603 View attachment 75604 View attachment 75605
Hiawatha Doodlebug. A quick Google search will tell you everything you need to know. Lots of info and pictures out there. Nice bike for sure!

capguncowboy

I saw that listed on the Chicago CL. Definitely a cool little bike!. Nice find!

These bikes were made by Haiwatha. There is a lot of information out there about them, and they even have their own cult following :thumbsup:

Rupp 72

Can anybody tell me about the tires that are on this bike? They are grey, did some come that way? Foe as original as this bike looks I doubt they were ever replaced but I really don't know

Rupp 72

Does anybody have a template made, or could anybody make a template for the side skirts and clutch cover for a doodlebug? That would be a huge help for me. If I can get a template I can fabricate the pieces myself with a CNC plasma cutter.:weld:

Just google Yesterday's Rides Metal Works. They are a good source for parts. Another place to look is Doodlebug club of America. They have a list of contacts for info and parts.

Rupp 72

I've looked up yesterday's rides but would rather save the money and do it myself as apposed to buying repop parts, and I know there are quite a few members on here with doodlebugs.

Rupp 72

Picked up a newer running 4 horse Tecumseh at a swap meet yesterday for 35 bucks and a new rear tire and tube for 2 bucks. Now it should run pretty well and have some good power. I still need to hook up some sort of break mechanism though. It should be a nice rider for now Snapchat-3623498203593832713.jpg

Attachments