Just Purchased My 1st "Old" Minibike

Made my 1st "minibike project" purchase last night and hope I did ok. I am not doing a "correct" restoration as I believe that the bike is missing too many original parts. I am just looking to make a nice rider. I believe it to be a 1971 Rupp Scrambler. It has the original green paint under the red spray paint. The engine, based on the data, is a Tecumseh 6.5 hp.

Noticeably missing/incorrect are:

- Handlebars (will be replacing with correct)
- Jackshaft (would like to go back to the original clutch/jackshaft if not too pricey)
- Seat (will be getting an original style cover)
- Engine was "running when put away", will most likely try to use it (but remove the crazy oil filler tube)
- Brake lever/cable
- Front fender (would like to buy one)

rupp2.jpg
rupp1.jpg

I will be totally dissembling and media blasting it. Would like to return it to the original green paint, if available. Feel free to pick it apart/point out issues, as I am learning. I paid $200 for it...did I do okay? Thoughts?

Phil

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.:thumbsup:personally I think you did very well price wise,but I'm no Rupp expert(I'm more of a Cat man myself)but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some great advise.The accumulated knowledge among the members here is mind boggling.

I'm no Rupp expert either and I'm still learning everyday but I also think you did good on it. Like Spyderdregg said, one of these rupp masters will be along to praise your purchase!

Hey I just noticed your avatar. Is that a '67 or '68 Camaro? It looks like a '68 but it's so hard to tell because it's so small. I used to have a '68 Camaro that I used to show in my younger years.

Welcome to the fun! As the others have said, be ready for #2, #3 and so on. Very adicting.

Hey I just noticed your avatar. Is that a '67 or '68 Camaro? It looks like a '68 but it's so hard to tell because it's so small. I used to have a '68 Camaro that I used to show in my younger years.
Looks like a 68. It has the square marker lights in the grill.

Welcome to the fun! As the others have said, be ready for #2, #3 and so on. Very adicting.

It is indeed a '68. Actually in the garage working on it now. :hack:

Thanks for the kind welcome. Seems like a very informative and helpful place, glad to be here! :scooter:

Phil

capguncowboy

Nice scrambler. Karen just cleaned and tuned up one a couple of months ago and called it a Rupp Rat.

I just finished up my 70 Roadster yesterday. They're fun to ride but a pain in the ass to restore. So many little parts and if you can find everything, it costs more than you think it will.

You did great for the price you paid. Ride the hell out of it and have fun

I think for most of us the fun is in the rescuing these from certain death and dismemberment and exploring our creativity as we put them back together. The camaraderie helps too!

You did good for 200.00. There is at least 200.00 worth of parts on the bike. That bike is going to need a lot of love but take your time and you will have it looking good in no time.:thumbsup: Here is the rust bucket I am working on.

Nice project. I just recently rode another members rupp for my first time. They are a nice ride. I can't believe no body noticed the brake lever bolted to the foot peg to work the brakes. That's crazy. I think that's a keeper. :scared:

Nice project. I just recently rode another members rupp for my first time. They are a nice ride. I can't believe no body noticed the brake lever bolted to the foot peg to work the brakes. That's crazy. I think that's a keeper. :scared:
Crazy, huh?

Thanks for all of the replies and references.

Question...the main frame tube appears to be bent upward to accommodate the engine? I am bumming if this is the case.

Phil

Yeah, it looks bent. That top rail should be straight from the neck to the seat
Ouch...ok. That's a bummer. I had been trying to figure out what was "off" with the line of the bike and then I noticed it last night.

Obviously this was done to fit in the engine. I'd like to make it right though. Would it be possible to heat and fix it, or am I better off just leaving it? My intention was to try and use this engine, but I did want to go back to the jackshaft setup.

What are recommendations?
How much for the complete jackshaft/clutch setup?
Should I be looking for a new frame?

...Sorry for all of the questions.

Phil

cool score , get ready for #2 , then #3 and so on !
Ohhh boy, and you are so right..and it is happening already! I am in discussions to buy this roller for $125:

ruppforsale.jpg

...This would give me the handlebars, front fender, a frame that is not bent, and the jackshaft. Seems like such a deal,but aren't they all???

Phil

Last edited:

Another dead give away is the '67's had wing windows and the '68's did not. I couldn't really tell due to the size of the picture. (and the old eyeballs in my head)