Ka-pow-ell

I've been wanting a Powell for quite a while now, but most of them I have seen for sale cost more a little more than I could spare. So I finally found an affordable one, and picked it up yesterday. Let me tell ya, there's a reason it was so affordable. The dude I got it from said it had been sitting outside for the last 30 years. Here's what the ebay auction pix looked like:

Pretty sweet, huh? Thats what I thought too...... until I started disassembly. I already knew that it didn't roll.... but after the application of some PB Blaster the axles loosened up and I had a roller. Had to apply this stuff to everything that was supposed to move to get it apart. After an hours worth of beating with a dead blow hammer and prying with Wonder Bar I had it disassembled except for the wheels.

I believe a lot of water must have sat in this spring pocket for a lot of years.

The spring didn't look so hot either. It looks like there was an inner spring and a spacer in there at one time. I'm not sure if this spring will still work, and how well it will work without the inner spring. I may need to find some new springs for this thing. Anyone know of an alternative spring that would work?

Here is why the wheels were such a bitch to get apart:

The aluminum (or is it magnesium) halves of the wheels may be salvageable, but the steel sides are shot. Anyone got any ideas??? Anyone got some Powell wheels they'd like to sell?

I haven't figured out how to get the forks apart yet. Anyone know the trick to doing this? Also this torque converter looks frozen solid. I may opt for a new TAV or run a jackshaft if I can't get it to loosen up. I'd really like to run a shifter and three speeds like the original, I may be able to make a modern TAV work the same way with the use of an adjustable tensioner. The frame, bars, forks and swingarm are all pretty solid. If I can find a set of wheels for it, I may attempt a restoration. If not, it will be a custom. Any suggestions for alternative wheels? Anyone know what model or year this thing is?

Wow, you have your work cut out for you.
Looks like the stuff I get.:thumbsup:
Yeah.... I know.

I watched that one on eBay. Glad someone is gonna resurrect it!
Its been in a coma for 30 years..... I'll wake it up and run the wheels off of it.

He did an awesome job on that SAAPE, and his pictures have cleared up a few things about parts I am missing. I have no brake, throttle, engine, clutch, shifter, or seat. I'll see if he has any leftover parts for sale.

Scottessey Knows of a replacement spring.
I'll message him tonight.

Thanks for the replies so far...... looking for these items: wheels, axle adjuster, throttle, torque converter, grips, springs and seat. I will be powering it with a Predator 6.5 for now.

Welcome to the POWELL BROTHERHOOD , thought i would add that before BAB did . Get the serial number off it and get to BAB he's getting new numbers together to give to Alan Powell . And good luck with it , here's one i got awhile back .

That thing is a bit toasty but it's still a Powell. Nice find, and good luck on the build, I am sure it will turn out great. :thumbsup:

It's a shame they left it sitting outside to rot. Looks like you got your work cut out for you but it will be worth it in the end. Anxious to see how this build progresses.

serial number

ezeerider
Nice score..
Parts have been getting harder and harder to find.
Shoot me a PM and I'll help you out as much as I can

Your Powell appears to be the later Super Challenger/Phantom model.
Include your serial number in this thread.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/24250-powell-bro-serial-numbers-list-34.html
Thanks for the info on the model, BAB. Judging from your info and what I have gathered from other sources, my best guess is that this is a 1970-72 Model "M" or "J" or "JL" Super Challenger/Phantom. From what I have read, the Phantom Models came with 3 1/2, 5 and 7 hp Tecumsehs. Most of the ones I have seen with shifters had variable pitch driver and a static circumference pulley on the rear. But mine has the Comet (CAT-99) Torque Converter driven pulley on the axle pivot/jackshaft. From what I have been able to dig up, they changed to the torque converter around 1970.

Well, I'd love to post the serial number, but when I sanded down where I was told the serial number should be, this is what I found......

I guess its pretty obvious what happened here. Sometime in this poor rotted mini bikes past, it must have been stolen. I can think of no other reason that the serial number would have been purposely obliterated like that. Its a shame, but 30 years later, theres not much I can do about it. I'm just gonna built it and enjoy it.

I'll definitely be in touch. I think I may have a solution for the wheels. I'll see how it works out and post pix here.

Yeah its a shame someone did that to the serial number..
Keep us posted with your progress..
Your powell might a perfect candidate for a few mods drive train and wheels..
:grind: :thumbsup:

Hey EZ,

That powell is looking great :thumbsup: .

My first time seeing a three wheel version, good idea to solve your rear wheel issue :grind: .

Please show us some pictures from the front and sides when you can.

Keep up the good work.

Love it. Is that a timing belt pulley on the axle?
No, its a gear driven differential out of some sort of lawn tractor I believe. This diff was made to run inside a case, which I don't have. I'm just going to bolt a sprocket on using the assembly bolts...... they are the same pattern as a Peerless, differential, which I believe this is. Its just not one of the self contained units.

Don't worry, thats not how the axle plates are going to be mounted.... this is just a mock-up.