Keyed ignition for the baja heat

joekd

I have hit the OEM shutoff switch by accident a few times already so I decided it was time for something new

The old plastic switch

Used a 2 wire power switch for a chinese scooter ($6 shipped off ebay) removed the fake gas cap, drilled it for the switch, had to file a small notch in the retaining bar and here's the results

Key out

joekd

Wanted to add that all you need is one ring solderless terminal and one bullet to reuse the OEM wiring and grounding points

Hey let me see your bike, so i can hot wire it haha.. j/k! But yeah thats a nice little addon to your bike. I was wanting to put a real tank ike the fake one on my bike. I wonder if anyone sells a tank that would fit where the fake tank is.

joekd

The other reason for doing this was because my son and I go riding near a local farm store, I am sure no one would even think of stealing the bikes there but why take the chance

Last edited:
Call me old fashion but that kill switch could possibly save your life someday. Having to reach for a key and turn it in a situation doesnt seem safe to me. Then again im riding over powered doodles and not a cushy Cadillac

joekd

I may be the only one to disagree with you but I have ridden everything with two, three or four wheels over the years and have never had a situation where killing the motor was a better option then throttle/brake control

I may be the only one to disagree with you but I have ridden everything with two, three or four wheels over the years and have never had a situation where killing the motor was a better option then throttle/brake control
Nah, you're not alone. My Cats are done with the original toggle switch locations, either under the tank, or atop the frame.

You found an elegant solution to your key, almost Harley style. I appreciate it.

joekd

Ok, at least I am not alone on this :thumbsup:

This mod was done on my last baja. As mentioned earlier I feel the oem one was positioned where if my hand slid even a little bit I hit it and shut off the motor.

Even on my current warrior I removed the bar kill switch and just use the one on the motor. I used a push button style where you have to hold it for a second or two to kill the motor then decided even that wasn't necessary.