Kustom Kart Shop

MB165

cool bit of history there, lucky dog... thanks for posting it up. Your writing really helps bring us back into the that time too.

You know I'm just messin' Gerry:thumbsup:

I can relate to fond memories, I remember the day my avatar pic was taken all those years ago. The wind through my hair, the putt putt putt of the Briggs, the smell of the leaves just beginning to change................

Awesome, and I can relate to your story.....I remember beggin my dad to take me to the Honda dealer to drool. I know why now he was hesitant, the days and weeks following of me begging him to buy one was enuf to put up with...........although, finally.....he did give in and buy one:thumbsup:

I'm envious of all the guys on the board old enough to have "been into them" at the time. I only knew the one that I had, but remember vividly the thing sitting on my dad's bench and all the grinding and welding going on. I had to have been about 8 at the time, give or take a year. Also remember putting MILES on it in an orchard that my dad's buddy lived next to in the country. They were converting my Dad's '48 Willys pickup into an Overland (SUV style) which involved shortening the frame, swapping bodies, etc. so I spent a lot of time riding in that orchard.

My dad mentioned on thanksgiving about the time I crashed it in the school parking lot and ground off half my face on the asphalt (yeah, that's what happened to my face LOL)

I was weaving at high speed and my dad kept telling me I was going to crash...and I did. Flew over the handlebars and landed on my face.

Sounds like you have plenty of cool memories to Tom...:thumbsup:

I wish I could have gotten my father interested in that kind of stuff...but he was a "boat" guy to the end..spent his whole life on the water..... :boat:

That sign and the way it operated was just another example of what a marketing genius Rich Ludwig was...had that sign not flashed back and forth like that it probably would have never stuck in my mind...Kustom...Kart....it was like you had to read it and remember it.

Here's another example...if you look close you will see that every single mini bike (and kart) that left that shop had a Kustom Kart decal on it somewhere...forkplate, gas tank, fender....when the kid got back home with the new bike all the neighborhood kids would crowd around and ask "where did you get it ??!!"....bingo!...4 or 5 more cutomers!! Now repeat that scenario for everysigle bike that left there...that's how you sell thousands of bikes.

Word is it that there is still one remaining Margay kart (of the 6 that he sold to Elvis back in the 70's) on display at Graceland and that it has the Kustom Kart decal on it. If somebody could get a picture of that it would be awesome....

Last edited: