Lil' Indian 2-piece rebuild

I got the throttle linkage worked out. I followed the guide from the link below with a few changes. The cable conduit is anchored with the tails of two large cable ties "pinched" between the fuel tank and the mounting boss. The whole thing was made with parts from the governor with the exception of a nylon washer, a 1/4" bolt and the wire stop (which was on the brake line when I got the bike). The spring is hard to see, but it is behind the throttle arm and is attached to one of the cover bolts. Works flawlessly.

Affordable Go Karts - Throttle Linkage Kit & Instructions

Last edited:
I guess the blue has grown on me now, but I was not very crazy about it right after we painted. I think we should have gone yellow, but Pep Boys was out of yellow engine enamel when we bought the paint.

The throttle cable conduit was about 14" too long so I cut it shorter with the Dremel tool earlier today.

I'm just waiting on the TAV, grips, and the fork decal.

Cheers!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The TAV2 arrived yesterday. I immediately opened the box and observed the final drive was for the #40 chain. Bummer! Ok, I figured I could change the final drive sprocket and went out to the garage to to make a dry fit. I quickly realized I was not only going to have to raise the engine, but would also have to move the rear fender to allow clearance.

I got up this morning and decided I was just going to save the TAV for another project and headed off to Northern Tool for a clutch. Picked up a Comet model and headed home. I got it installed in about 15 minutes along with the chain. I fired the engine and headed out the driveway for a test run.
WOW! This little bike hauls A**! WAY TOO FAST to even think about taking the 2-year old for a ride. I make a few passes up and down the street with the wife looking on. I tell her it is dangerously fast and she says she wants to see.

The wife hops on the bike and I start it up for her. All of the sudden I see the bike doing a wheelie across the driveway with the wife in tow. The bike looks like a rodeo bronco as I see it heading towards the drainage ditch. My wife lets go at the last second and the bike crashes into a pile of rocks before coming to rest in the ditch. I look at the wife and all I see is her standing on her feet with the look of "I can't believe that just happened." All I could do was just stand there while I tried to comprehend what had just occurred. I composed myself and picked the bike up out of the ditch to find that the only damage was to the paint on the left side. The wife said she thought the throttle response would be that of the Doodlebug so she "gunned it all the way." We laughed for about an hour about the whole event, but it was a good thing nobody got hurt.

Last edited:
Jetted carb with #90
Header pipe
Air filter
1.2:1 rocker arms
Lapped valves
18lbs. springs

My observations:

Faster? I don't know, but the torque curve is certainly wider. I still need to do something with the timing.

Also, I installed the air cleaner and header without re-jetting and took it for a spin. Total dog and would hardly run. You MUST jet up in order to see gains!

Next mod will be a head swap.

I still need to do some touch up painting to the left side due to the crash.

Last edited:
Thanks to affordablegokarts.com and alliedleisurecorp.com I could get this show on the road. I highly recommend both due to extremely fast shipping. I ordered the "hop up" parts from AGK and the decals from Rec Leisure.

Great looking bike! I'm working on a much older Lil Indian w/the earlier style frame. I've posted photos in an album. Still exploring my options for brake & wheel setup. What is the overall width of your rear wheel assy, from sprocket face to the outside edge of the brake drum? What is the distance between your bike's rear frame tubes? Thanks!

It looks like from the outside of the sproket to the outside of the brake drum is 5 1/2". The mounting distance for the rear wheel assembly is approximately 6 3/4". It is kind of hard to get an acurate measurement with the rear wheel mounted.

I guess this project is done at this point. The final add-on was the Mikuni carburetor and Animal intake. Thanks to MDB for the advice. I am officially addicted. I picked up a Manco Streaker last weekend. I have a coupon from Harbor Freight for a $97 clone motor that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Well...I finally got around to putting a fuel pump on the Indian. The pump works fine and the bike truly seems to run better at cruising speeds. I think I have a problem. When the bike is level it idles fine. When I lean the bike towards the clutch it sputters and almost stalls. When i lean the bike the opposite way, towards the flywheel, the idle increases to the point the clutch engages. Is this normal? I am assuming this is because of the float in the carb. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pics of the pump mounting if that has anything to do with it. Also, I don't know if the bike had this problem before I installed the pump. It may have and I just never noticed. Thanks

Preston

The problem you're having is common. When you lean the bike one way, the fuel is running away from your idle jet, causing a lean mixture and a little rev. The other way, it is kind of flooding the idle jet, and bogging down. I've had the same problem with Mikunis on dirt bikes. No idea how to fix it though. If it's the same thing I've experienced,it doesn't seem to be as noticable when moving.

yup the Mikuni on my dirtbike does the same thing when a lean it to the right it wants to stall,lean it to the right and it can go all day like that

The clamps are just small standard hose clamps I got at the local Ace hardware. I am going to have to come up with a better mount location for the pump. I have it mounted to the head right now and the pump gets somewhat warm. I am going to fashion a bracket to mount the pump using the mounting screws on the front of the gas tank. This will get the pump away from the heat and keep the pulse hose from running across the hot engine.

I guess this answers my questions about the surging when the engine is tilted. Thanks