Look at my BARN FIND for $50.00!!!!!

Hey guys...I just made a SCORE last night. 75 yr old guy had this one in the back of his barn, on a pallet under a heavy canvas tarp...he said the last time it was rode was 20 yrs ago by his grandkids...(I guess they spray painted at that time :shrug: )

anyway...it has a 3hp B&S engine on it..with some "odd" homemade carb extension and odd carb as well. kinda jerry rigged.

the engine model number: 80202, type: 2917-01

can anyone tell me anything about the engine..I know it's not stock...as I believe that this is an MTD 603-02 model, which had a TEC 4hp engine originally.

Looks like the driven pulley is original, but what the hell is mounted for the drive pulley on the engine??? and the belt is WAY TOO TIGHT right now too.

here's some pics:

can anyone tell me what the hell the driver is on this engine? it certainly isn't the original, heck I can't tell for sure if it's even a true "belt" driver??????

There is a guy from WI on here that is selling a RUPP driver, that from the original photos of the MTD's look exactly the same...should I buy the Rupp driver and use it?????

Dan

That looks like a centrifugal belt clutch that would marry to a solid pulley on the jackshaft. Just match your driver to the brand and symmetry of the driven and you should be OK or just replace both pieces w/a matched set and sell the driven.

Fred

That looks like a centrifugal belt clutch that would marry to a solid pulley on the jackshaft. Just match your driver to the brand and symmetry of the driven and you should be OK or just replace both pieces w/a matched set and sell the driven.

Fred
YEP...be prepared to spend more than 50 bucks though.

LOL...yeah the dang new belt drives are too dang pricey!! Like I said in a previous post..there is a guy in the for sale section that has a driver pulley off a RUPP, and it looks exactly like the ones that MTD used and pictured in their old advertisements.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can pick that Rupp drive up for $70 or so.

Last edited:
well...after doing some digging, I found that the "clutch" setup on the engine isn't the mate for the driven belt hub on the jackshaft.

the drive pulley is a clutch type setup that is meant for a 1/2" V belt..and I think that the driven pulley is meant for a 3/4" belt..but not sure if it's for a symmetrical or assym. I'll have to check the driven tomorrow.

This is what's on the engine right now: