Manco trail cat project!

Hey Guys,

Well I have been gone from here for a couple years after I sold my Rupp Scrambler and other project I was working on. Sadly, I never actually got myself a running minibike after buying and selling parts that I needed.

Well I am back....

I just picked up a Manco trail cat yesterday. It has the Tecumseh H35 on it with a rear drum brake. The motor has spark and will run with starting fluid but it needs a good cleaning and some tlc. I have the whole bike torn apart to the frame etc. I will be sending it off to my buddy who powdercoats to match the color the best we can.

Does anyone have any literature on this bike? I am trying to see what original parts came on this bike to replicate it the best I can from how it came new. I am trying to degrease and clean the motor today and hopefully find myself some new replica or OEM Tecumseh stickers for this motor. I think this is going to be a pretty fun project! How well do these H35 motors run? I'm a small guy and only weigh 155lbs....I'm assuming it will move me pretty good.

Here is a pic of how it came when I picked it up yesterday.

buckeye

This should be one worth watching.
I have a h35 on a Manco T-Bird and I am a buck 75 and it goes fast enough that close to the ground for this old(er) guy.

Nice score, has any work been done on the front end were it welds to the frame.looks like more rake would make it a nicer rider.
Thats why I passed it up because I thought the front end looked kinda wack.

Dammit Kenny....its bad enough I got Greg snatching up everything in sight, but now you are starting to become a hoarder too :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks guys. Yea, I traded him a couple things for it and 20 bucks...so it didn't really cost me anything.

It doesn't appear to have any work done to it. Nothing is hacked up or anything :shrug:

The only thing missing that I can tell is a front fender. Again, I'm going to try and make it look stock as possible. Does the front fork seem to be like the way it came? I don't have anything to go off of.

jrzmac

heres an ad from 74. I think the bike on the bottom right is the same kind as yours. it's hard to tell but if you zoom in on the decal on the forks, it's the same. It has the same frame, even the same stickers on the back around the down tubes.....

kbs8ball

markus posted a thread in the strictly vintage section with a brochure of this exact bike on it. the thread is delta chopper. check it out.

markus

Yea, now I know what you guys mean by the forks. Well that sucks. I wonder if I can bend these back without ruining them?
It might just be the angle but the forks look pretty straight, It looks like something at the headtube was modified.

If you decide on a restore let me know what you are going to do about the tube sock decals on the frame. I need to do something about that if I move forward with redoing the chopper.

Heres that '71 brochure kenny was talking about:

Ok, I just took another good look at it. The front fork is straight (like it's supposed to be). But yea, the front head tube is slightly bent. I can just cut it off and re-weld it, grind, etc. That way I can give it a little more rake like it's supposed to have. :grind:

I would say get the measurements from the bike leathernun has and make your rake the same.also I think if you heat it,you should be able to get it right back into shape:thumbsup:

I would say get the measurements from the bike leathernun has and make your rake the same.also I think if you heat it,you should be able to get it right back into shape:thumbsup:
Yea, I was cleaning everything up tonight and I can see where it got bent. It kind of pulled the one weld out a little bit. I'm going to heat it up with a torch and bend her out until it looks good. I don't have to be 100% spot on but I'm sure I can eyeball it pretty close.