Mark G's Cat Dominator Re-do

It's been a while since I've touched this bike, and I'm so close to completion. I still need a clutch cover for it, but other than that I have all the rest of the parts. Last week we decided we wanted to use it for our Christmas card, but I had to put the seat back together. I needed to replace the board, the old one all of the T nuts were rotted out. Plus the stitching was pulling apart right at the tight curve. Ended up having to do it by hand, with a curved needle, a long pair of needle nose pliers and wearing a headlamp to see. What a PITA!!

Needless to say, it took me a lot longer to stitch it up than I thought it would, and the bike is still not together. But it has given me the push I need to get this one completed, now if I could only find that elusive long clutch cover......

Last edited:
Thanks. That 46 year old vinyl was a little "challenging" to work with:laugh:. Did you ever find a match to the original gold material for these seats?
When I have it on the machine to fix the seams, I keep hitting it with the blow dryer. That old vinyl is a little crunchy. I have to get it real hot to turn it inside out to sew. I never found the exact vinyl. I'm sure I could get it made for a large fee but nobody wants to pay the piper. The glitter vinyl I have is close. Just doesn't have that tiny green sparkle in it.

Just put a new top, piping and wood on this seat. Seat came out really nice. This was for [MENTION=469]john[/MENTION]g

Last edited:
When I have it on the machine to fix the seams, I keep hitting it with the blow dryer. That old vinyl is a little crunchy. I have to get it real hot to turn it inside out to sew. I never found the exact vinyl. I'm sure I could get it made for a large fee but nobody wants to pay the piper. The glitter vinyl I have is close. Just doesn't have that tiny green sparkle in it.
That did come out nice. I've been searching for that gold vinyl forever, there has to be some out there somewhere. Good tip on the hair dryer, I was kept warming it up over a radiant heater:laugh:

You going to finish one?:laugh:
Oh man I hope so,I have at least eight projects that are still torn apart half finished.

Although in the meantime,I did re do that Roper I got from Ray, and I "threw" together a Manco chopper beater last fall.:thumbsup:

Started messing with this one again. Still looking for the correct clutch cover. Found out the hard way there are TWO different length long covers- the painted ones are a touch shorter than the chrome ones:mad: I bought a whole bike just for that part only to find out it didn't fit. All good though, I was able to use it on my Duster chopper and the motor on my Slingshot. Still on the hunt.

1971_MB1A

Started messing with this one again. Still looking for the correct clutch cover. Found out the hard way there are TWO different length long covers- the painted ones are a touch shorter than the chrome ones:mad: I bought a whole bike just for that part only to find out it didn't fit. All good though, I was able to use it on my Duster chopper and the motor on my Slingshot. Still on the hunt.
I'm not interested in selling an original Cat metal chrome long clutch cover but I would be willing to lend you one for a while to make a correct copy from in metal if that would help.

Thank you for the offer. I already have a pattern and made one of my own, however my fab "skills" are not up to par and it looks terrible. If you ever decide to sell that cover I'd be interested.