Mini Army Jeep Progect..

I like the 914!! There use to one that ran around my town with a v8 in it. I remember the first time I saw it at the store. The guy got in it and fired it up and I was like WHAT!!!! Sounded awsome!!!

thanks ! its a 72 iv got just the stock 1.7 engine and tranny for now. I figured id get the car fixed up first and maby think about an engine swap later if I come upon a 6cyl . But the main goal was to get the car in shape and looking like a car again. Id like to get a 3.2 for my 911 and put its 3.0 in the 914. I just did a half assed low budget rebuild on the 1.7 so ill see how long it lasts :laugh:

Yes well im not going to make a gun in the center of the jeep on a stand but i will make a trailer with one. And it would definaltly be better to have a working gun of some sort rather than a dummy. Paintball sounds intresting iv never had a paintball gun.
Yea Mopar the car has come a long way in the past few months. Gotta love unemployment. I really kicked butt on it. Most would have crushed it at first sight. But im not that smart :laugh: Yes the doors wouldnt close because it was folding in half. It was scary trying to get it up 2' off the ground on jackstands. I wont be buying any more rusty 914s. I said that about jeeps too. Seems all cars get the same kind of rust. It all sucks :laugh:

Back to the regularly scheduled program. Im hopeing to enter this thing in the build off along with my ramrod. Atleast I think itll qualify. Its still less than half done. Even though im always working on it. Its still a better canidate than a dudlebug with a clone thrown on it :shrug: So I got the rear floor all built and the inner fenders. and started welding on the edging after cutting out the tailgate and doors. After thats done i can do the tailgate and cowl and dash and steering column support.

Thanks Its always fun to see things start to take shape. the devil is in the details though and iv still got alot to do. Today I finished the lip edging and made the dash board. I figured out its more comfortable to sit in it cross leged so that kinda rules out a foot throttle. Ill probrobly do a pull throttle on the dash for constant running and i was thinking maybe a push button in the center of the steering wheel instead of a foot feed. that will be a bit of work to fab up but iv kinda got a plan. and i might put the steering wheel on the driver side like it should be itll just make the steering lincage a bit more complicated. but its also easier to use offset when sitting cross leged. And to make it more realistic ill eather make the front seat bottoms fold up so i can fit my feet or just removable all together and stick them in when its on display . depends how well my feet fit with the fold up design. Also my brother suggetsed i use a flask for a jerry can on the back. I just thought maybe they already make a jerry can flask. so i looked it up and they do! But the dimentions are a little small I think. Ill get one and see how it looks on there. I can make the height taller just by making a tall mount but i cant do anything about the width and thickness unless i make my own

125ccCrazy

Yeesh and I thought I was a glutten for punishment :doah:.... nice save Bryan...

The Jeep is coming along really well....I like where your going with this build...

"Only in a Jeep"

I wish the old plant was still standing here, I would have got some pics for you where the original Willys was built..... I had the honor of working there for 14 years before going to the new plant... lots of history was in that old place.. they even built the wings for the Corsair in WWII and I believe the propellors at the our Stickney Ave plant....

cool! they have a giant Jeep festival in butler pa where the bantam factory was. Not sure if they have anything like that in toledo but i wouldnt doubt it. Must have been cool working there. I always end up with the rust bucket orphans. I just realised every car iv owned 7 or 8 I bought for $200 or was free. except my 911 :laugh: ofcorse they always take a couple grand and a lot of work to get fixed up. but who buys a car just to drive it anyway :smile:

rmm727

Went to that Bantam Jeep Fest in Butler 2 years ago. It was pretty cool. This is such a cool project you have going there Jeep. Glad you started posting progress again.

Last edited:
how was it? theres a small willys reunion a bit closer to me but I havnt gone.
I decided to try and make my own jerry can instead of buying that flask thats probrobly too small. A couple hours later and its almost done. :thumbsup:

rmm727

It was pretty cool. They stopped accepting entries for the "world's longest parade". So I didn't get to be involved with that. Not sure why they wouldn't got for broke on a world record? I think there was a mudbog, teter toter, and an obstacle course. Also a couple different classes for show vehicles and a bunch of venders.

Heres the tank. Came out great . Probrobly still a little smoothing to be done before paint but its pretty good. I used jb-weld to form the X and also to glue on the filler neck and handles. I made those from some brake line.

Thanks guys I often amaze myself. Cant believe I made it so fast too. Forgot to mention I got the cap from one of those Double gas caps that they used on the old gas cans . I guess it was the vent or something. But the rest of the cap was pretty beat anyway so i didnt feel bad about cutting the top off. Also wanted to show off a Porsche sign I just finished. Its plywood all routered out. Took quite a while. The paint turned out not so great but it looks real good up on the wall. Double sided too :smile: