Mini bike kits or complete?

Hey now, I came here looking for advice a few years back. Now, I'm in a much better position to actually afford a mini bike. I'm looking at the kit from gokartsusa and its $300 plus the clutch and kickstand, $100 and then the Titan 6.5 hp engine is $260. So all together I will be spending $800 plus shipping. The kickstand mount has to be welded on. And I would like to have the frame and fork nickle-chrome plated which will cost another couple of hundred. I'm worried I will have trouble putting this kit together. Wouldn't it make more sense to get one ready to run? The mini bike they sell at Tractor supply company is made in China and has been recalled for safety. That bike would be a waste BC I need something quality to hold up to some abuse and my 170 lbs.
Next month for my birthday, I go to my parents house outside of Reading Pennsylvania. I know there are ATV/dirt bike dealers I can visit. Will these dealership have complete mini bikes for sale? I'm looking to spend around $1,000. What do I do to get into this hobby with out wasting $$$$

Thanks

Last edited:

buckeye

That is a lot of cash.
You could pick up a complete bike for a whole lot less.
Check craigslist in your area.
Whst skills you have?
You need something that you don't have to put together?
I certainly could find a bike, get it painted or powdercoated, a new Harbor Freight engine, and be good to go for a whole lots less than a grand.

cxbra

Get a vintage Bonanza, you cant break those frames! I had a late 1960's Bonanza BC1100 and it felt SO solid and strong and it was ridiculously light.. A MUCH higher quality chromoly was used in the 60's and 70's. Most of us on this site prefer the vintage bikes even though they are almost 50 years old, they just just make things like they used it :rolleyes:... I would suggest getting a complete bike off of craigslist if its going to be your first bike. You can get something really nice for well within your budget! The next option would be to get a rolling chassis, and buying your own engine and kind of building it up yourself.

Heck yeah that's a lot money for one bike...your first one. Check our classifieds section...I think you'll find a few for sale right now in PA and maybe your area in NY.
Buckeye mentioned the Harbor Freight engines...Predators,you can pick one up on sale brand spankin' new for $99 6.5hp
Whatever you decide stick around and we'll try to help anyway we can

I looked on CL and semi local for a long time, nothing or over priced junk.
and when stuff came up for sale, too late or no shipping
so I purchased a Indian, and a bad dog, both have been really great,
and I have purchased a arco, my friend will bring it from the east coast in 2 months.
just be patient, and if not buy something

That is a lot of cash.
You could pick up a complete bike for a whole lot less.
Check craigslist in your area.
Whst skills you have?
You need something that you don't have to put together?
I certainly could find a bike, get it painted or powdercoated, a new Harbor Freight engine, and be good to go for a whole lots less than a grand.
There is a Harbor Freight in my town and they send me coupons for a 6.5 hp engine on sale for like 100 dollars. The kit page says you should order the engine from them because "not any engine will work". Does any honda clone have the right shaft length I need? Does the harbor freight engine have the right mini bike throttle? Does any company sell a good bike, brand new ready to run? I need a kit that is brand new, quality where I can just bolt it all together. I've worked on cars before, not as much with this kinda stuff. I had a go kart go on fire when I was like 11 and I never got into ATVs, bikes, ect. Craigs list is a joke, this is the post I found under mini bikes for sale
Will buy the first mini bike offered to me!!
Looking for a mini bike that needs work or no work. Even if its in peices i will buy it!! Have cash and trades sill buy ANY mini bike thrown my way!

Another chance I have is swap meets. Spring 2011 this guy was selling his mini bike at Cars at Carlisle. Which is a huge sale, if you can't find it there you can't find it anywhere. He was asking 300 dollars I think. That was used and had a 5hp engine. I had to pass that bike up four years ago, and still have nothing. I want this to happen before I change my mind. Right now, the kit is one sale so I could save and get the ball rolling on this project. Who knows it could take 2-4 weeks on back order. Or I can wait for the swap meet April 23rd.

I'll build a custom DB with suspension and ship it to you for $950 total , the best riding mini you could get ! ]
Hey now, you can email me specs I will shoot you a PM.
Maybe I shouldn't have said I was ready to bust out a thousand dollars off the bat. :laugh:

Chipper (Angelo) is a great guy and will go out of his way to make you happy! He's in this hobby for the fun of it and will go the extra mile to make someone a sweet mini because he will get more satifaction out of building it for someone to make them happy than he ever will out of profit!