Mini Bike welded from scratch: ELEANOR

hojo

Well, I got my bearings the other day and installed them in my tire. After I installed the tire on the axle and spun it, the wheel wobbles a couple degrees. If the wheel wobbles a couple degrees, theres no way ill be able to get the gear to be perfectly align. I'll probably get the motor running for the first time tomorrow, and I'll hook it up to the tire and see if the chain will fall off. Wish me luck.

hojo

what sort of bearings did you use being a small keyed axle and all?
61803-2RS 6803-2RS ball bearing. 17 x 26 x 5. The axle of the wheel is 1" which is 25.4 mm I think, so I had to drill out the axle a little wider. After I drilled out a little slot, they then fit snuggly in the axle. When I was aligning the sprocket to mount on to the tire, I noticed that the rim is a little off centered. The tire is tubless, so I'm planning on deflating the tire completely and just shimming the tire over a little bit and then re-filling it with air. I don't really think its the ball bearings fault, but the tire with its offcenter rim and wheel.

hojo

Taking my mind off the tire, I decided to get some oil and gas and start up the engine for the very first time. I got 5w oil because its below 32 degrees out and 87 gas. I read online that if you take out the governor, you don't need the high octane 91 and 87 would work fine. I then put a half a quart of oil in and then poured in a full tank of gas. I was real worried that the engine wasn't going to turn over, because I had engine completely taken apart to take out the governor. My worries were gone after the second pull when the engine fired up:thumbsup:. After I took out the governor, I took out all the throttle linkages and springs, I now have to make my own simple throttle mechanism.

hojo

Well I bolted on the engine and hooked up the chain to the rear sprocket. I shouldn't have ran it because the rear sprocket hub connectors were only tacked :rolleyes:. I had the rear tire elevated and started the engine. Amazingly with the sprocket wobble of a couple degrees, the chain didn't pop off when I revved the engine. But after a couple minutes, the chain popped off:censure:. With further inspection, the problem was that the engine bent the motor plate up from the torque of the chain, and when the engine plate kept bending, the chain fell off. This is my fault because I never welded a rear support to the motor plate. When I was running it, the bottom of the chain seemed real loose and was shaking. I have a spare 11t gear and I'm going to use it to make a chain tension for the bottom of the chain. I'll post pics when I accomplish something. I'm not accomplishing anything right now.:grind:

hojo

I haven't posted in a while because I have been doing some troubleshooting. I have been having a lot of tire wobble. My axle that I bought was 25.4 mm (1") and the bearings I got were 26mm. So I just drilled out a little wider slot with my variable drill and slid them in. The problem with this, is when I drilled the bigger hole, I think the hole I drilled was a little off-center on both sides, causing the wheel to wobble. To fix this, I shaved the bearings down to 25.3mm (dont ask how I shaved down the bearings :wink:). Then I slid the bearings a tad past the bigger slot that I made and spaced them apart with a spacer. I hooked up the wheel with all the axle, spacers, and washers, but it had only improved 50%. I wanted to eliminate the wobble before I enforced the sprocket hub tubes together but since the sprocket was perfectly aligned (centripetally) I went ahead and welded the tubes together. Another problem I had encountered was that I was too lazy and didnt weld a tube to the back of the motor plate. When I ran the motor, the torque amazingly pulled the plate up about a 1/2". So then I pounded it back down, and welded a support beam across the back.
O ya, I just got the bank brake setup from C9H13NO3, THANKS A LOT FOR THE GREAT PRICE!

I haven't posted in a while because I have been doing some troubleshooting. I have been having a lot of tire wobble. My axle that I bought was 25.4 mm (1") and the bearings I got were 26mm. So I just drilled out a little wider slot with my variable drill and slid them in. The problem with this, is when I drilled the bigger hole, I think the hole I drilled was a little off-center on both sides, causing the wheel to wobble. To fix this, I shaved the bearings down to 25.3mm (dont ask how I shaved down the bearings :wink:). Then I slid the bearings a tad past the bigger slot that I made and spaced them apart with a spacer. I hooked up the wheel with all the axle, spacers, and washers, but it had only improved 50%. I wanted to eliminate the wobble before I enforced the sprocket hub tubes together but since the sprocket was perfectly aligned (centripetally) I went ahead and welded the tubes together. Another problem I had encountered was that I was too lazy and didnt weld a tube to the back of the motor plate. When I ran the motor, the torque amazingly pulled the plate up about a 1/2". So then I pounded it back down, and welded a support beam across the back.

The parts in that last pic look VERY familiar :biggrin:

hojo

You see in the 2nd to last pic how I re-enforced the top, I'm thinking I might have to do that same thing towards the bottom. When I tacked em and ran it, they twisted about a 1/2 and it worried me a little bit. Still they were only tacked, but I just want to make sure that they don't twist when I'm going 50 mph down the subdivision

Neck

Growing up is optional
Your welding skills are fine! It's your engineering skills that intrigue me! We learn from our mistakes. This is good!

Seems like you could have just used a 3/4" axle with flanged 3/4"I.D.x1"O.D. bearings and it would have ran perfectly true with much less hassle.

A hub like this is pretty strong being built around the center tube.

I know I should stop:doah:(I hate when people try to rethink what I'm doing so I shouldnt do it either) sorry

cool project--keep going I hope I can start my minibike project this spring (early spring)

hojo

Seems like you could have just used a 3/4" axle with flanged 3/4"I.D.x1"O.D. bearings and it would have ran perfectly true with much less hassle.

A hub like this is pretty strong being built around the center tube.

I know I should stop:doah:(I hate when people try to rethink what I'm doing so I shouldnt do it either) sorry

cool project--keep going I hope I can start my minibike project this spring (early spring)
Ya I know I should have bought one of those. Would of made things a lot better and easier.