murray 3.5 good bike to buy?

hey guys,
I'm new here, I'm trying to find a doodle to put a killer motor on just to tool around with but I don't want to spend and get a new one. So I've been hunting them on craigs list and today I found a 3.5 hp murray bike that needs a brake cable. And it seems to be pretty cheap. Are they good bikes to work with? If someone can answer this pretty fast too so I can pick it up today if it's good as well:shrug:

great little bikes, the 3.5 tecumseh is reliable too. That is, if the previous owner hasn't abused it too much. What are they asking for the bike?

yes that's it! so I guess they're a better buy then a doodle? because I have a connection for a doodle for $200 but I really don't wanna pay that much

the murray is way better built. HAs huge tubing compared to the doodle. And you wont have to modify or buy an adapter plate to put your "killer motor" in it. The doodle bug is limited to the little 2.8HP motor that it comes with. The holes on the motor plate are not drilled to accomodate a larger/more common motor such as a Briggs, Tecumseh or Honda. And you can get big bucks on ebay these days for the little 3.5HP Tecumseh motor. In most cases, they go for more than that whole bike is going to cost you.

Last edited:
Buy it, you won't regret it!,there on the bigger side for minibikes. I.m 6 foot tall 250lbs, and my Murray is one of my favorite minibikes to ride, I added 6.5 power and 66 tooth to the rear and 12 tooth front sprocket in 35# chain size to mine.

You can't go wrong with a Murray and for that price, if you don't like it (or lose interest) you can always get you money back and then some! I a few of them and they are built way better then the DB's. I have several pics in my photo album if you want to check them out. Good luck, I hope you are able to close the deal! :scooter: