My Nova

I got this bike I believe back in 1968- seems like a long time ago- Some happy memories and some sad memories- but believe it or not i have had this bike ever since- It was always my idea to get this bad boy back on the street - Well that day has come-

It is a 1968 Nova Panther and has a 3.5 HP Tecumsch engine that's about all I know - it was bought in So Cal probably in East LA maybe Sears-

I started the tear down and we will see how it goes- I hope that I can find some parts or other needed info as needed- and to chronicle my progress-

I know I may have to replace the gas tank and the fuel line crumbeled in my hand- It's a project that I am looking forward to

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/newtvic/nova Re Launch/P1020450.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/newtvic/nova Re Launch/P1020451.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/newtvic/nova Re Launch/P1020452.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/newtvic/nova Re Launch/P1020453.jpg

Greetings Folks - Thanks for the complements- Under the cover is my 1964 Ford Falcon- not sure if I have some "Classics" or just rolling junk hahaha:laugh:

Mac

I hope that I can find some parts or other needed info as needed
You might get lucky and find some of the parts you need at
Mac's Minibike Yard Sale in Norwalk on 1/25/14. (Shameless Plug).

....and get to speak & question many local minibike icons( Evil Ed,Etc.)

( I'll be a retired guy in May)

OK Finally got all the parts I need- I cleaned, sealed and painted my orig tank , I cleaned and adjusted my carb and tomorrow I will try and put everything back together- will keep you'll posted

Nice looking bike. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Nova same color but a different front end and has fenders but missing chain guard. I have the original motor if your looking. I'm also in So Cal

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments- and it's funny but not any pics of it back in the day- guess , at least for us, pics were a big deal and sometimes pics were taken and just never processed- you remember the deal of taking them to the local pharmacy and waiting a week and all that stuff-

WWOOOWHOOO_ Got my mini bike started after all these years- man what a thrill- I forgot it has no hand brake and it goes as soon as youpick your feet off the ground hahahaha- I have a new question- Ill post here then an the gen info forum

HOW do I oil the chain? its rusty brown- do I remove it and if so HOW? thanks folks- I forgot how fun this thing was

Cool....chain might have a "master link" in it somewhere....roll the back wheel slowly and look for it...just a matter of popping off the little clip (and don't lose it). Chain is cheap enough that if it feels kinda stiff you'd be better off buying a new one from the OldMiniBikes warehouse...otherwise it will eat the teeth off the clutch and sprocket and cost you a lot more in the end.

If it's just dirty you can do it the old school way...soak it in a coffee can submerged in gasoline for a night...then soak it a night submereged in clean motor oil....hang it up and let it drip dry.

I would add an inline fuel filter to it, especially if you were messing with a rusty gas tank....it only takes a microscopic particle of rust or dirt to mess up the carb.

Does that bike have a foot operated scrub brake???

I would wipe the cobwebs off that bike with a damp cloth and some WD-40 and leave it be...it's a nice looking survivor you got there... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank You and yup I took a rag to it- tomorrow I get an inline filter and prob a new fuel bowl- I'm gonna look for that link and I think I may just take your advice and get a new chain thanks for the info- and that is a foot "scrub(?)" brake- talk about hi-tech stuff- hahahaha

be sure when you replace the fuel bowl you clock it correctly...there is a little step in it...

The "deep end" goes to the float...the "seam" should run parallel with the hinge pin.

I had major rust on my handle bars and forks- Well I got an idea from youtube- I used Mystery Oil and it took the rust off with no problem- it was the best rust cleaned I have ever used- Looks so much better- I also soaked my chain in it and it looks and feels almost new- it rust free AND lubricated -
Mystery Oil- who knew? all these years I thought it was just good for the Gas and Oil