need 8hp briggs crank

I have an 8hp briggs I/C in great shape but it has a worm gear on the end of the crank. Can anybody tell me where I can get a standard crank or what other Briggs cranks will work so I can keep an eye on ebay? The end of mine is too short to turn down on the lathe or I would do that so I need to replace it.

I have the same problem. A real nice old 8hp briggs with crank slung between to roller bearings, but the shaft has a morris taper and won't mount a clutch. It could be turned to 3/4 inch. I am just not able to do it. A new crank runs I think around $125. I may have to break down and go that direction.

I have the same problem. A real nice old 8hp briggs with crank slung between to roller bearings, but the shaft has a morris taper and won't mount a clutch. It could be turned to 3/4 inch. I am just not able to do it. A new crank runs I think around $125. I may have to break down and go that direction.

If you're not in a hurry, I'll turn it down and cut a keyway for just the cost of mailing it back and forth...most cranks fit in the $9 USPS flat-rate box...with insurance, it's about $20 total cost.

Usually takes me about two months to make time to do it, but, I do it the right way and it'll work perfectly when you get it back.

Yellowhand is a machining master :p Took the taper out of a generator crank for my brother. Excellent work :thumbsup::thumbsup: