Need help: mounting clutch on older B&S

I have an older B&S 6hp with a 1" threaded shaft.
Are drive clutches made specifically for threaded shafts, or do I need to have it ground smooth?
Can I just cut a keyway and drill and tap the end of the shaft?
Oh, and could I turn the shaft down to 3/4" or should I leave it at 1"? I'm thinking I could judiciously use a file while the engine is running.
I appreciate the input!

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'm going to cut a keyway with my dremel and drill/tap the end of the shaft. It's a good running engine, so I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to.

Hent

Thanks. I think I'm going to cut a keyway with my dremel and drill/tap the end of the shaft. It's a good running engine, so I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to.
Price out a 1" clutch vs a 3/4" clutch and the machine work.

Don't ruin the crank. :eek:ut:

Cut your key way, install clutch and secure with a thin Ny-Loc jam nut. You wont have to drill the shaft. The side thrust is not that much and the shear force of the nut will be much greater than that.

Cut your key way, install clutch and secure with a thin Ny-Loc jam nut. You wont have to drill the shaft. The side thrust is not that much and the shear force of the nut will be much greater than that.
Actually, I think the shaft is long enough that that is a great idea! A nut it is!