New guy from Pa with a trash picked Cat 400x

Hey Guys,
I was on my way home from last week and was lucky enough to drive by as a older gentlemen was walking out an old mini bike to the curb. Quickly I pulled over and asked if it happened to be going in the trash, he smiled and told me it was my lucky day. With a pop of the trunk a shake of a hand I was on my way back home. The next day i put air in the tires checked for spark filled with gas and :scooter: that puppy for an hour haveing to manually work the throttle by hand it was still a blast. The motor still has plenty of life in it (no compression test was done but the butt dyno was happy enough). So....

Here's what I know or think I do about it:
I believe it to be a Cat 400x
Bought in '69 or '70 as a X mas gift(what i was told by PO)
Motor plate # 9007156
72t rear sprocket which acts as a fiction brake
manual actuated disc brake caliper mounted to a tab on the left side lower frame rail.
Dual rear shocks with a singular front spring attached between the frame and head set bolt.
Powered by an old briggs not sure on hp or model number
Needs headset repaired as it fell apart when I unbolted it

That's about all I know for now I'll post pictures of everything tomorrow Everything is apart now as I was soo excited about it I already stripped everything everything down blasted and painted the frame and motor.:grind::laugh:. It looked ruff. Please any input is welcome especially if you know how to decode that motor plate #9007156. Thanks

TomH

Welcome BTW. The 9 is the year of manufacture, so 69. There are brochures and pictures in the Cat owners group. Join the owners group, they are great bikes. The motor should have a number on the lower part of the shroud. A 4 horse techumseh should start with h40 or hs40

MikeBear

That's awesome! I wish people around here would throw away stuff like that. They tend to put it in garage sales, and try to sell it for more than they are worth.

Here are some pic of what i got done so far:

Thanks for the welcome. TomH that thing looks cherry. Mike around here everyone just wants the latest and greatest so the pickin scene is good :laugh::001_tt2: Btw thats body filler dust on the motor.

Last edited:

TomH

Freakin nice briggs with the raised letters. What kind of shape are the wheel stars in. Don't pitch any of that stuff man, no matter what condition it is in. As it is, the purists are having a conniption fit. That is Macs bike not mine. Here is mine right after I bought it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction about the bike Tom. I dig that dominator's set up:thumbsup: I don't throw anything old away. Speaking of the wheel stars I have 2 (very ruff chrome flaking heavily) should I have 3 the back wheel could sport one on the right side but doesn't have it,question is should it?

Mac bike looks killer, besides the motor looks like you pulled the thing out of box yourself :bowdown:

As for the purist it's only paint :laugh:. To tell you the truth I liked the motor in the raw better with a few accent pieces painted but the guy i share a garage with had that idea to break the motor up in that color scheme. Like I said its only paint lucky for me its what I do for a living.

TomH

Yeah you should have three. Might check to see if the wheel has the holes to mount them. When you see what a rusty pair of stars bring on EBay, You might go back to the owner and ask if he has seen it.:laugh: Lots on here have cleaned up and painted the stars. Drop them into some evaporust. If your bars are rusty You might try 45T's method: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/61700-bad-luck-bike-build-cat-300tt.html. Depends on how bad they are, but he says Cat Chrome is pretty tough.

Last edited: