New guy looking for restoration answers.

Hello OldMiniBikes members,

I have decided to attempt to restore a Herter's minibike. I've never really done a restoration project like this before. Nor have I done much small engine work. I do have a bit of experience on engine work. I've done basic auto maintenance including head gasket replacements. I also work as a CNC machinist to pay the bills. So I do have some knowledge with fixing things and making them work.

I guess my main question is where would you guys start? I'm just assuming that getting the engine running properly is top priority. Mostly because it can be the costly depending on what needs to be done.

Here is where I'm at so far. This bike is basically completely disassembled. It was parked about ten years ago because we had problems keeping it running. I think it was just major carb issues + not knowing much about crabs and carb adjustments. At one time the float had a small hole in it. I think my dad had some one try and patch it. Probably with solder. I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet though. The engine is the H50 model. I've taken the head off to see what condition the engine is in. There is thick black build up around the valves.

So far I've only planned to replace the simple things that I know it needs. I'm still just trying to clean everything up. There was a ton of woodland creature debris. I've ordered a carb rebuild kit. I'll replace the spark plug, and spark plug wire. I'd like to replace the points, once i figure out how... I know there quite a few things I'm not thinking of, but this is my first restoration.

If anyone could give me a general plan of action, it would be greatly helpful. If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I can't wait to ride again.

:scooter:

buckeye

Look though the project log section.

But, you are on the right track.
Get the mechanical stuff done. Obviously the engine needs to be right.
Then you need to get that awesome new power to the rear wheel.
Torque conver right? If so service it. Clean and lube. New belt if indicated.
New chain.
Then you need stopping power. Service the brakes.
New cables as needed. Grips???
Wheel hearings prob need replacing.
Put it all back together. Ride it.
Take it apart. Strip all the paint. Powder coat or paint.
Shell out a half a mil for rechrome.
Reassemble and ride like the wind.
Then start fixing the stuff that breaks.:laugh:
Repeat in two years.:thumbsup:

Something like that?????

Look though the project log section.

But, you are on the right track.
Get the mechanical stuff done. Obviously the engine needs to be right.
Then you need to get that awesome new power to the rear wheel.
Torque conver right? If so service it. Clean and lube. New belt if indicated.
New chain.
Then you need stopping power. Service the brakes.
New cables as needed. Grips???
Wheel hearings prob need replacing.
Put it all back together. Ride it.
Take it apart. Strip all the paint. Powder coat or paint.
Shell out a half a mil for rechrome.
Reassemble and ride like the wind.
Then start fixing the stuff that breaks.:laugh:
Repeat in two years.:thumbsup:

Something like that?????
Haha, oh boy. Half a million for chrome huh? I wonder if I should tell my wife now or later...

I'm going to try and do most of the work myself. For pride, and to save a few bucks on the budget. I do have access to a sand blaster. If chrome really costs that much i'll likely try a different route. I've always wanted to try hydro dipping. Maybe some type of camo print or flames...

buckeye

Naaah, not a half mil. Bunch of Benjamins though.
I do all my own work. Most of it looks like junk when I am done but, I did it. Not a gold chainer.:laugh:

Yeah, as long as it's running top notch i'll be able to sleep at night.

I sure hope I can find the parts I need easily. :blink:

Moose86, let the fun begin. Yea, start with the engine. Clean the carb good when you install the new carb kit. I recommend investing in a spark tester, cost about $7 - $10. Saves a lot of time figuring out if\how good the spark is. Once you get the carb back together, work on getting it started. Change the oil first if it hasn't been started in a while.
As far as painting and chroming goes, check locally for the things you can't do yourself. It seems the 'in thing' right now is leaving things 'natural', looking old. The main thing is, is that you have fun doing it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

buckeye

Nope, you have used your allotment of questions.:laugh:

Should be a great build. Lokk forward to it. And ask away.:thumbsup:

Moose, I agree with all the comments so far. The first thing I do, is determine to what degree I am going to restore, or repair. Set a goal on what the final outcome should be, then work towards that. (and change my mind a million times)

As a novice small engine builder, I've started lapping valves, measuring bore, honing, replacing rings and gaskets, installing new points and condenser and timing the engine. That has worked out well. You can get the right color of spray paint, or automotive paint, and plenty of re-pop decals are available for the bike most likely and the engine.

Mlanzoni is right though, unrestored originals are the thing. Plus I note you have a sticker from the original shop. All good stuff. Get the engine purring, replace consumables, belt, etc. and put it together with new bearings, safety related stuff, then see where your head is at.

Took about a year for me to restore this Herters. Had around $2700 into it. Chrome plating was about $1300. Had decals reproduced first. After disassembly it was powdercoated then the chrome was sent out. In between I tracked down all NOS parts. Everything was found on eBay. After assembly I stared at it for almost a year then sold it for a lot less than I had in it. Good luck with restoration

Last edited:
Wow teeks. That bike is mint. Looks brand new.

All great info! Now I have a much better plan of attack.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Progress so far..... (Need ignition system help)

I've picked up a few things:

I bought a spark tester, spark plug, some oil (sae 30), carb cleaner, carb kit, some pb blaster, and a puller (rented from the auto part store).

I've decided to focus on getting the engine cleaned and running properly as my first goal. To do this I started taking most outer components off the engine. That flywheel was a tough one. The puller kit did not come with the right sized bolts for the fly wheel. Once I got the bolts figured out my neighbor came over with his breaker bar. I thought for sure something was going to break or someone was going to get hurt. Then BANG, it popped right off.

Now that I have the flywheel off I have a few questions about this ignition system. I've done some searching around the site and the information I've found makes my head spin.

Could anyone give me a quick run down of what I should be doing from here, in relation to the ignition. I really don't know much about it. It looks like it is the lightning coil. It has the spark plug wire on one end with what i believe is the coil. On the other is a wiring harness for the head and tail lights(I Think). On the back side I can see the points inside the housing. What all should I replace?

Maybe this should be a new thread?

toomanytoys

My usual process

Get the bike running and riding. I make sure everything works just as I want it, and have it looking in the form I want.

Then I start the restoration process, of painting cleaning, and then put it back together. I know when its done that I most likely won't be tearing it apart again scratching up my paint trying to make it fit together and run.