New Improved SnowBike ct70 Version!

ok after the succes of the first snow bike i built basically as a goof, i have had alot of interest on youtube to make a new one. I have had others make similar bikes, there is a guy who used a minibike frame but a 110cc pit bike motor, i really liked the idea of gears because the first one didnt really have any top end. I am going with the ct70 because i think its a perfect platform. Basically all i need to do is figue out the rear set up. I wanna make it so I can bolt on the track for the snow and change it out for the wheel for the spring!
The motor is a new lifan 90cc 4 speed. The bike will not have brakes but i am not to worried, on snow there is not a lot of coasting. Also the 4 stroke will serve as a great engine brake. All i really need is some metal and some pillow block bearings, jackshaft, and some gears. let me know if you guys have any ideas? Its funny i just looked and the video and 187,000 views! wow im famous?

YouTube - homemade snowmobile test prototype mini snowbike

I thought that your first Prototype was really Cool, but can't wait to see the next. Keep us Posted on your progress, with lots of Photos. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

delray

awesome greg :thumbsup: your going to beat me to the gun man, thats ok:thumbsup:
full suspension.....cool
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/23378-snow-minibike.html
hey i did modifly the the bushings over to high speed bearing on my snow track like i said i might when i pm you. alot easyer to maintain then oil/grease the bushings all the time. also mounted them on the end of my trailing arms
try to post more pictures with my project.

awesome greg :thumbsup: your going to beat me to the gun man, thats ok:thumbsup:
full suspension.....cool
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/23378-snow-minibike.html
hey i did modifly the the bushings over to high speed bearing on my snow track like i said i might when i pm you. alot easyer to maintain then oil/grease the bushings all the time. also mounted them on the end of my trailing arms
try to post more pictures with my project.
yeah thats what i was gonna do, but i dont have any of those flange bearings, the last one i built i just opened the hole in the plate and put it a regulay high speed bearing with c-clip and spot welded it in place. It worled fine. I am still trying to figuer out the best way to attach the track to the swing arm. I am thinking about making the axel live and adjustable, so the sprocket will be attached to the axel throught the track. The only other way i could do it is make a full bracket system with chain tentioners and i really dont wanna do that. I will keep posting my progress but i am waiting on parts now.

Very cool! After seeing your video I decided to make one of my own. Mines a hard tail. Here's a sneek peek picture of where it is right now.

delray

smallbikes88, making my axle live by using a new 10inch grade 8 5/8 fine thread bolt with a machine out keyway for the center sprocket that runs the track wheel and a keyway for the new 60 tooth #35 chain BS martin sprocket(outside). if i wet to a 3/4 bolt setup that would of change alot of things that i really didn't want to deal with.:doah: 5/8 setup making everything real easy to do. at first i thought i was not going to have the right gearing,because the 60 tooth BS sprocket was the larges one they made in 5/8. until i took the track apart and seen that the drive wheel had a mid/large sprocket on it.:thumbsup: i still want to do the math on the sprockets,but should be ok for now for gearing,if not it will be easy to change it. final gearing is all in the track unit.:rolleyes:

greg if you can get you hands on some flange mount bearings like i have,do it. makes evarything much easyer and clean looking too. 1 3/8 bearings with the flange mounts don't take up the room like pillow blocks and they are strong enough for what we are building. alot better then bronze bushings.

SimpleTom, that will be cool to see a hardtail done. thats a good small track unit to have for you project. it should pull good thru the snow:thumbsup:

Last edited:
smallbikes88, making my axle live by using a new 10inch grade 8 5/8 fine thread bolt with a machine out keyway for the center sprocket that runs the track wheel and a keyway for the new 60 tooth #35 chain BS martin sprocket(outside). if i wet to a 3/4 bolt setup that would of change alot of things that i really didn't want to deal with.:doah: 5/8 setup making everything real easy to do. at first i thought i was not going to have the right gearing,because the 60 tooth BS sprocket was the larges one they made in 5/8. until i took the track apart and seen that the drive wheel had a mid/large sprocket on it.:thumbsup: i still want to do the math on the sprockets,but should be ok for now for gearing,if not it will be easy to change it. final gearing is all in the track unit.:rolleyes:

greg if you can get you hands on some flange mount bearings like i have,do it. makes evarything much easyer and clean looking too. 1 3/8 bearings with the flange mounts don't take up the room like pillow blocks and they are strong enough for what we are building. alot better then bronze bushings.

SimpleTom, that will be cool to see a hardtail done. thats a good small track unit to have for you project. it should pull good thru the snow:thumbsup:
Thats the way i made the other snow bike, i took a 5/8 bolt and cut my own keyway into it. Thats probably what i will do again. The hardest thing to do is get everything together and ligned up inside the track with the rubber tread on it. Its not a easy feat. It will take alot of tinkering and is not for a amatuer builder.

nice! i like the idea of the flanged bearings. My 2x2 just has plastic and i was kindof worried about that. Now if they give me trouble in the future ill have a plan :thumbsup: