New member - 66 yr old looking to buy a CT200

Hi everyone!

I am an older man, 66 yr old, looking to buy a new CT200.

I have been reading posts on the forum &was surprised to see how popular mini-bikes are.

I was an Engineman in the Navy for 8 yrs. I enjoy working on all types of engines. My wife & I owned & operated a
small engine shop for several years. We repaired nearly every type of small engine from lawnmowers to gas operated
drills used to tap Maple trees.

When I had Harley's I really enjoyed modifying them to get more performance.

I enjoy reading the posts here to get pointers on engine modifications.

My CT200 purchase is a starting point for my build.

My goal is pleasure riding, but I also like power.

One goal is to install lights so I ride at night.

Please feel free to offer any comments that might help me on this project.

P.S. I am also in to electronics, I build robots.

Welcome aboard Chief!! We have quite a few ct200 owners here that are enjoying the heck out of them in their second childhood!! They are a little bigger mini for us adults!!

Sounds like you and I have a similar story. I'm a year younger and also spent 8 years in the navy (Torpedoman) 71-79. Do some checking around for price on the Coleman. None of the Walmarts here in Pensacola had any but I was able to buy one in Robertsdale, Al on close out for 249.00. Well worth driving 30 miles.
I've changed the clutch/jackshaft, header, air filter, and re-jetted the carburetor. I've installed an led light and small battery. So far I've been real happy with the results.
Good luck with your project.
Jim

Received damaged machine ;-{

Thanks jwitt for your Service!

I received my CT200U today, ordered from Walmart.
But . . .
FedEx shipped it upside-down & dropped it on its end at least once.
After unboxing, I discovered many scratches & a smashed steering stop.

I straightened the steering stop & assembled.
I completed the initial setup, greasing the clutch bearing, lubing the chains & filled with oil.
The bike started on the first pull!

I made a short ride & was very pleased with the performance!
Backing out the governor limit screw flush with the bracket I rode it again & was even more pleased!

Being disappointed with all the scratches & the necessity of making repairs on a brand new machine,
I contacted Walmart to see if they would make an adjustment in the price.
They offered only $40, so I opted to return the machine, Walmart is now out of stock online so could not replace.

I have a new machine coming from Amazon. I certainly hope Amazon does NOT use FedEx!
Will post a follow-up when I receive my new CT200U.

P.S. I had ordered an exhaust header, re-jet kit, air filter w/hi flow adapter & spark plug. These arrived today also.
I am going to replace the engine with a new 200cc Baja Warrior Replacement Engine w/lighting coil so I can have
lights & battery charging. I will need to design & build a battery charging regulator. More to follow ;-}

Sorry to hear about Fedex dropping the ball (or mini bike). I'm retired from there. I would have assembled it and filled it with gas if I was the delivery driver. These new guys just don't care like the old guys did. :smile:

Sorry to hear about Fedex dropping the ball (or mini bike). I'm retired from there. I would have assembled it and filled it with gas if I was the delivery driver. These new guys just don't care like the old guys did. :smile:

They were Good guys when we lived in Charleston. But not up here in the upstate. The Fed Ex drivers around here have a really "don't give a S***" attitude. I have had packages that looked like they were drug behind the truck handed to me by the driver and when I said something all I got was :shrug:. I have had personal property damage from the FedEx truck backing into my trees but got no satisfaction from complaining to them. And the FedEx big truck drivers have an even worse attitude on the Interstate. I had one change lanes into the lane behind me and when I looked in the mirror all you could see was the grille. He had to be within 3 feet of my bumper.... Just plan arrogance and stupidity. We have a FedEx terminal a mile or so from the house and when you see a big truck sitting on a side road waiting to get out on the main road they take a space that works if you drive a car....

They are the worst I have ever seen for FedEx or UPS drivers.

BUT the very worst truck drivers we have are the Benore drivers. The vast majority of their local driving is supplying BMW and they only drive one way. LEFT lane. You see traffic blowing by them in the right lane all the time.

Doug

Those companies have gps and the drivers are under the thumb of slavedrivers.. some frutrated drivers take it out on customers and their cargo..

Last edited:
That's interesting. I've had three minis delivered here, by FedEx, and no damage as a result of transport. In addition, my ebay business uses FedEx exclusively for communication antennas (some as long as 80") and NONE have been damaged- sold about 80 of them so far...

Location, location, location.... I preferred FedEx over UPS in Charleston but it is the other way around here... Separated by only 200 miles.

Give me USPS or UPS. The Barstool Racer I had was delivered by USPS.... Its amazing what USPS will take sometimes.

Doug

Update: New CT200 is on its way ;-}

Amazon just shipped my order using UPS today ;-}

This past experience with FedEx was the first issue I have had with damaged shipment.

While waiting, I have been researching my electrical options.
I have two 12 volt batteries that I was using as a portable power supply for Amature Radio.
Using one of them for the mini bike, I am building a lighting system.
I purchased a Baja Warrior replacement engine that has a alternator .
I am going to swap the Warrior engine on the mini bike & save the original stock engine.

I need to build a voltage regulator & rectifier to charge the battery.
The most difficult part is mounting the final design in a water proof box.
I will probably just encapsulate the regulator/rectifier in epoxy resin.

My plan is to have a headlight, taillight & maybe some other electrical accessories.
The Warrior engines electrical output is about 3 amps.
I plan on using a led headlight & taillight.
I have checked the draw on both lights & found the draw is about 1 1/2 amps.

Make sure you check the clutch fitment before you start changing things. I seem to remember someone having a problem with crankshaft size when trying to add TAV to an MB200.

I don't have an MB200 with an engine on it but I have 2 MB165's and thought it was odd that the crank was different on the MB200's... :shrug: Just check things for compatibility....

Doug

Thanks for the tip Doug.
I have purchased a replacement 3/4" clutch that fits the new engine.
I will also check to see if I need anything else before I swap engines.

Need advise: Should I start posting my progress in the CT200 group?

This is my first experience with posting on forums.

Last edited:
Hi..Yes plz do join Coleman group there a number of us active and lots of input..it is hard to post pics there you have to look at your profile settings and manage attachments..i put a how to in the group.unless things changed there with recent update..videos are easy if you make a private ytube account like me..i take vids on my tablet and upload them to my channel and copy/paste into a topic or post..

this is what i bought it is fairly powerful and is as big as a pack of cigs..i cut the two male connectors and just need to make a metal sleave to mount it.with the two leads i can just move it to any other bike i want and just plug it in..i still have to do the project.i just want a (tractor) utility headlight and i small oval tail light.Harbor F.or if you use a trailer light it can probably get stop and running light with its wiring .i don't know if something you want or how long your rides are.. Talentcell 12V DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip/Light/Panel/A... | eBay

Last edited: