New member seeking guidance

Hello guys and gals! New member from SC here.

Been surfing the site all morning and WOW!, there's a lot of info out there! Some background on me: I'm 46 and have always liked having a project in the garage. Started out years ago with air cooled VW's, switched to vintage Japanese motorcycles and now, since I have a three year old grand-daughter, am considering a mini-bike project.

It all started when I picked up this vintage go-kart frame....

A friend gave me a Tecumsah side shaft engine for it. No pics right now, but I think he said it was from an air compressor and was a 5HP engine. (Pics later).
Anyway, that stuff has just been sitting under the house and in the garage for a while now. I was surfing Craigslist and started running across some vintage mini-bike frames and projects from time to time. That got the gears turning again....

I've yet to pick up a frame or project. I saw the other "what is it" boards, but since I don't actually OWN one of these yet, I thought I'd ask here. Plus, it said not to ask for appraisals. I'm not looking to sell anything, but WAS wondering if the prices on these are market correct.

This bike is about 2 hours from me:

The Good: Mostly complete (compared to some I've seen), I like the style of the tank.
It's listed as a Sears, but I haven't been able to find any info or similar pics. They want $99 for it. So....what is it? Is it worth it? Can I make my engine work with it? Etc., etc.
Here's the tag on it:

This one is much closer to me. However, it looks like a real project....or is it? He's asking $125 obo and I think that seems high.

So, where to start? I'm not looking to do this for profit. I love having a project in the garage. I love surfing ebay, craigslist, junkyards, etc. for parts and making something that I see in my head come to fruition.Plus, I'd like to get the grand-daughter on it one of these days.

I'm very early in my searching and learning phase, but I assume things like brakes, tires, throttles, etc. are pretty readily available or adaptable?

buckeye

Welcome to the fun.

Sure it's for your grand daughter. What you gonna ride.
The other is a Alexander Reynolds.
Both good project bikes.
You plan a resto or just making them riders?
How ols is she?
You may need a small bike so she can touch the ground. Or build training wheels like some have.

Look forward to seeing you around. Good projects for kids are the best.:thumbsup:

We don't really give values here from a "seller's" perspective...

From a buyer's perspective that ARCO looks like a lot of work I would shop around more...check the classifieds here.

Welcome from Rock Hill. I lived in Kings Mountain for 20 years so I know right where you are. Slim pickings in that area for minis.:confused: I used to travel north all the time to get my bikes. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Man, I love an active forum! I've joined some motorcycle forums and all I hear are crickets chirping...

At buckeye: What am I gonna ride? Pick one....they're all in my garage right now. ;)

We don't really give values here from a "seller's" perspective...

From a buyer's perspective that ARCO looks like a lot of work I would shop around more...check the classifieds here.

Well, I'm not selling...I'm looking to buy. Would I be overpaying at $99 for the Sears? Seems reasonable to me, but I've bought motorcycles for $100 before!

Here's the engine I have:

buckeye

Those aren't mini bikes.:laugh:

Wait til you fire up and get on and ride one of these babies again.
The smell of gas, the belching of the header, the quick response of the throttle, and befor you know it, you rocket yo to 31 mph. The world disappears. You're free.:laugh:

You might be able to do better on those bikes. Just search around and don't be afraid to put up a wanted ad or search for bikes for sale here.:thumbsup:

buckeye

How big is the output shaft?
You want 3/4".
And if so, yeah great engine!!!!

There are folks on here that would dye for one of those.:thumbsup:

The shaft is tapered....where/how are you measuring it?

Also, I dig the look of the mini bikes with the tank on the frame. I guess it would be simple enough to remove the tank on the engine and just run a fuel line, huh?
But first, I have to find a suitable project!

Motra

That engine is quite a monster for a little girl. You can't get a clutch for a tapered shaft, you'd have to have it machined to 3/4".

Motra

There are folks on here that would dye for one of those.:thumbsup:
Not to hijack this thread.................but I'm going to. Those engines get thrown away like used diapers at outdoor power equipment stores. It drives me nuts when I hear comments like this because unless you live on the moon or something, you probably have access to engines within ten miles of your house for anywhere from free to the price of a pizza lunch.

Welcome:thumbsup: A project minibike can be worth between nothing and a bunch, parts can be high so do your homework. I have a Sears Roper that I got for $35 but now that I've gathered all the fenders, grab bar, tank, and clutch cover I have considerably more in it. No engine yet and the brake rotor was robbed so I have to figure out how to stop the thing. I'd look in the classifieds here and gauge prices, use the search function and type in say "sear roper for sale" and see what pops. I just did in another tab and got results, if nothing else you can compare condition versus price and see if the ones bear you are priced right.:thumbsup:

IMHO.. if it was me, and it was for a young grand daughter.. I'd start out with a very small bike. I'd be finding one as complete as possible. Start adding up a seat, fenders, jackshaft, etc.. the stuff can add up. Maybe find one needing an engine but pretty much complete otherwise. I'd think a 2.5 ~ 3.5 (with governor intact) engine would be all you'd need. Training wheels, and adjust the throttle so it only opens "so" far and stick a helmet on her.... take plenty of pix!:scooter:

BTW.. that Kart is really cool! Looks like an old race kart. VERY cool project.

PS... my first real 'street' bike... not just a street legal enduro, was an XS650, like the one in your pix. I'd love to have that ride back.

Welcome to the site. The kart is very cool and will be a great project, I like the bikes too.
You will find some good info here on this site and some well lets just say some different info??? I would say take your time and try to fine a bike that is as complete as you can. The parts will nickel and dime you to death as you well now from your bikes. It is sometimes cheaper to buy a complete bike than some of the hard to find parts like chain guards and fenders and such also beware one turns into two and then three and so on. keep us posted with the kart when you start working on it. The motor with the tappered shaft might be a problem. Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted!!!