New Predator 212cc Engine Intermittent Problem

Just finished breaking the 212cc engine in (only scattered bits of tiny dots of metal on bottom of oil drain bowl). Always starts right up with choke on, BUT after a 1/2 a minute or so I take the choke off. It runs but won't rev up, then after a while it dies, so I put the choke on and it starts with 1st pull. I try switching to half choke for a bit, but when I take it off choke completely it dies right away now. Here's the strange thing. If I open up the gas cap it runs fine with the choke off. Then I put the cap on and it runs perfectly fine for how ever long I drive it. So now I just start it up with choke on and take the gas cap off and put it back on and it runs just like it should. Should I return it for this problem? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnroVoDi9TU

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Sounds like your gas cap isn't venting right. maybe take the cap in and see if they will exchange just that?..
THat would be my guess. I had a Honda four trax, it would do the same thing, the cap vent hose was clogged.

I was young and stupid. I'd open the tank up, see gas in it, put cap on, ride, and it would act just like it ran out of gas, try to restart, nothing. Open cap, hmm..still gas..put cap on, try again, it would run!:confused:

Took me awhile before I puzzled it out.:hammer:

Sounds like your gas cap isn't venting right. maybe take the cap in and see if they will exchange just that?..
I should have mentioned it't the California certified engine. It has a vent hose from the gas tank into a little black box connected to the gas tank and then a hose leading from the little black box to the Air-Filter housing. I took the after market air filter off thinking that was the problem. It ran great right after I put the old air filter on and I thought that was it! However, the next day it did the same thing. The good thing is it runs much higher RPM with the factory air filter than it did with the after market high flow. I bought another of these engines for $99 and had it shipped to Oregon. I will hop up that engine and rejet the carb though.

Last edited:
ok im limited to ca version engines. so if i understand you, you have taken off all the carb/epa crap and put on aftermarket filter (uni?) and it ran like crap? then u put back on stock filter and it runs higher rpm, but still dies,right? u did or did not rejet? between filters? im planning on getting one of these in march when they go on sale for 99. i will be taking off epe crap and putting uni filter on. some people report that no rejetting is necessary. do you have stock tank or different remote? more questions before more answers.

ok im limited to ca version engines. so if i understand you, you have taken off all the carb/epa crap and put on aftermarket filter (uni?) and it ran like crap? then u put back on stock filter and it runs higher rpm, but still dies,right? u did or did not rejet? between filters? im planning on getting one of these in march when they go on sale for 99. i will be taking off epe crap and putting uni filter on. some people report that no rejetting is necessary. do you have stock tank or different remote? more questions before more answers.
I took off the stock muffler and put a header on it DJ-1138RLV AKRA/WKA Box Stock Header & Muffler Kit and I took off the complete air-filter and put on this after market one on it 6899, BUT AND I didn't re-jet it. I broke it in for about 3 hours and when I took it out a few times it seemed to run pretty good. Then it started OP problem so I put the original Air-Filter configuration back on. It ran great but the next day started dying again when I took the choke off. If I remove the gas cap and put it back on it runs great. With the stock air-filter it revs a lot higher without starting to miss (like the gov is kicking in) then it did with the after market one. It revs high enough now that I don't feel the need to ever disconnect the governor. I do feel I need extra protection from dust though, but I'll probably just make sure the stock foam filter is clean and oiled well. I did buy another one for $99 but had it shipped to Oregon and will pick it up when I visit in the Summer. I plan to build a more street race type kart. I have the stock tank still. Only the Calif. engine has the CARB/EPA stuff attached to the tank.

ok. i am putting it on a db30 minibike. i will be using a uni air filter. on your problem, did u just block off the gas tank vent?. i would try to put some other hose and filter on that. the engine is probably running more rpm i guess cause it is running leaner with the aftermarket filter. check your plug and then u can see if you will have to rejet or stay with stock airfilter. i think a white plug is too lean. black plug too rich and a greyish brown is just right. I THINK!!!. dont quote me. search other forums and confirm what the plug should look right at optimum settings! keep posting. soon i will be purchasing my predator and will post my results. thanks. TTS

Last edited:
ok. i am putting it on a db30 minibike. i will be using a uni air filter. on your problem, did u just block off the gas tank vent?. i would try to put some other hose and filter on that. the engine is probably running more rpm i guess cause it is running leaner with the aftermarket filter. check your plug and then u can see if you will have to rejet or stay with stock airfilter. i think a white plug is too lean. black plug too rich and a greyish brown is just right. I THINK!!!. dont quote me. search other forums and confirm what the plug should look right at optimum settings! keep posting. soon i will be purchasing my predator and will post my results. thanks. TTS
No, I didn't block off the fuel tank vent. I connected a fuel line hose leading underneath the karts frame (like you do with a motorcycle's gas cap vent). If you read my post again you'll see I said I got more RPM when I put the stock air-filter back on, so I'm guessing you need to re-jet with and aftermarket air-filter. Also, I checked my plug before I started this thread. It looked brand new, shiny chrome looking. Not white, or black, or brown. I've heard the perfect color is chocolate brown.