New User with Columbia build questions

Folks,
I am new to this forum so please bear with me. Messed with minibikes as a kid. Have a Pro-street Nova now that I built in my garage. Can't afford to build another car now so I am messing with an old minibike I found. I believe it is a Columbia. Several parts are missing but frame is in tact. I purchased a 6.5 H.P. OHV Honda copy to put on the bike. I had to section the gas tank to make it fit. There was a jackshaft with a band brake on it that had to be removed to make room. I don't want to run a centrifugal clutch because they burn out too fast. I thought I would do one of two things. First I thought I would buy a Comet TAV30 which is still a possibility. I just don't want to buy it and find out that I have clearance problems between the driven clutch and the frame. The second idea I had was to re-mount the original jackshaft. It has a V-Plex driven clutch on it that appears to be in working condition. By moving everything to the rear I may be able to use this and the original band brake which is on the jackshaft. Can I marry this V-Plex up with a drive clutch from Comet ? Do you think I am better off with the whole Comet TAV30set up ? I have enclosed some pictures so you can get an idea of what I have. I am new to this site but can tell from the content that there are some very knowledgeable people on this site. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for heads up. Just looking to make a decision on the torquwe converter. Might be difficult to make the V-Plex work because OHV engine takes up alot of room. May try the TAV30 set-up but hate to shell out $$$ to find out there is not enough room for it. Also have brake and sprocket issues but I want to solve one problem before I go on to the next. Just a 50 year old tinkerer who still loves minibikes

Welcome to OldMiniBikes, Bronc...

Glad to see we got a guy who isn't afraid to cut and reweld a fuel tank, or ride a minibike with a faux leopard-print seat...

The Arctic Cat fans should be pleased...

I am a long way from riding it but when it is done the leopard seat it will be long gone. As far as the cutting and welding, I am all about that. I spent a long 7 and 1/2 years in my garage building my Pro-Street so a minibike is a walk in the park, I just need to tap into the huge knowledge base available on this forum.
Thanks,
thebronc4019