Newbie from the north Houston,TX. area

Hello everyone....my name is Brian and yes.....I'm a middle aged mini bike lover :eek:ut: :scooter: I live just north of Houston,Texas in a small town called "New Waverly" (closer to Conroe)

My wife and I were at the Canton,TX. flea market (AKA First Monday Trade Days) last weekend and I stumbled upon a mini bike. Now, I've recently began looking around for a project because alot of people I know in Houston on another site that I hang out on have been buying mini bikes,mini diort bikes and pit bikes to mess around with.

This particular project that I bought didn't have a seat, tires were shot, needs new cables,needs scrub brake plate, and the carb is in pieces and doesn't look real promising......and the seller wanted $50. I tried to haggle him down to $30...but we met in the middle at $40.......so I drug it home with me.

The chrome on it is shot, but honestly, I've never been much of a chrome guy anyways....so I had plans to paint/powdercoat it anyways. I shot a couple cans of carb cleaner on the motor and frame, and then pressure washed it all with engine dreaser and high pressure rinse at a car wash. What I soon found was a brand label tag on the frame----JC Penny/Bird. :thumbsup: The engine is a Tecumseh HS40 .....so it's a 4hp engine? It's not locked up, and I'm sure if I can locate a good carb,new plug, and etc. it'll run.

After doing some digging I've found that the JC Penny tagged Bird bikes might be tougher to come across?? At any rate, I'm not really planning an all out restoration....but yet a sort of classic style refurbish/mild custom.

I must admitt now though, I'd love to find a drag/chopper style frame and fork and begin a different project so that I don't feel so bad about molesting this mini bike too much ;)

I'll include some pics of the bike I have....

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello.......

THANKS!!!

Brian

Welcome

Welcome to the site. I'm in the Magnolia / Conroe area. My wife says we need to go to the Canton Flea Market sometime. After seeing what you got there, I agree. Good purchase on your part. As far as the chrome on your mini-bike, I've heard the saying "Chrome Won't Get You Home".

I'm somewhat a new guy here and have learned a lot from searching around various topics ........ Good Luck with your project and post your progress.

mybiz

welcome youll like it here and middle age dont got nothing to do with nothing:confused:
I'm also what some call middle aged "oldman" You know what them :punk: are saying behind your back:thefinger: I've bought a lot of mini's in just the last 8 months and still looking to buy more when i'll stop who knows i'm having fun meanwhile. Now i'll quit beatting around the bushes If your not going to be useing the exhaust pipe on your bike I sure would buy it from you I'm needing 1 like yours to put on my columbia-mtd :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site. I'm in the Magnolia / Conroe area. My wife says we need to go to the Canton Flea Market sometime. After seeing what you got there, I agree. Good purchase on your part. As far as the chrome on your mini-bike, I've heard the saying "Chrome Won't Get You Home".

I'm somewhat a new guy here and have learned a lot from searching around various topics ........ Good Luck with your project and post your progress.
Cool beans, good to see that there's someone local around here for me ;)

Honestly, I don't believe that Canton would be worth the drive every month. My wife and I talked....and we *might* go twice a year. We're considering going back in November perhaps.... most of the dealers told us that place is packed with sellers then. I have much better luck at local flea markets though.... although I've only really began looking for minis.

Yeah, the chrome ain't no big deal to me...... I'd rather go fast....than shine :thumbsup:

What I need now is a good carb for this beast......

welcome youll like it here and middle age dont got nothing to do with nothing:confused:
I'm also what some call middle aged "oldman" You know what them :punk: are saying behind your back:thefinger: I've bought a lot of mini's in just the last 8 months and still looking to buy more when i'll stop who knows i'm having fun meanwhile. Now i'll quit beatting around the bushes If your not going to be useing the exhaust pipe on your bike I sure would buy it from you I'm needing 1 like yours to put on my columbia-mtd :thumbsup:
Thanks for the welcome....... I can tell that this hobby is very addicting.....

As for now I plan to keep the straight pipe exhaust...... I think it really adds to the look ;)

"Supposedly", there's a lawn mower salvage yard around here somewhere that I just started looking for. If & When I find it I'll let you know, unless you find a carburetor before I find the salvage yard.
Man, now finding a salvage yard of that type local would ROCK! There's no telling what kind of cool old junk we could drag out of there....

Give me a call or shoot me an email if you locate it:

(936) 344-9592 home
(936) 203-8854 cell
sniperman76@hotmail.com