newbie to baja warrior jd 5.5 wont start after porting

hi all im new to this minibike stuff i have a older baja warrior jd 5.5 and i pulled itout of storage and got it running again and it ran good but did notice a lil bog in throttle about midway so i tore the carb out and freshened it up and then pulled the head off and did a mild port/clean up job on it and put it all back together and now she wont start i did have to loosen the exhuast rocker arm to get the the rod on that side out since i got lazy and tried to do this with the motor still in the frame and when i put it back together it felt like there was no compression so i pulled the head cover back off and loosened the exhuast rocker arm which was to tight since my torque wrench is mia and i tried to use the intake rocker as a reference for tightening and now it feels like theres compression again but still it wont start so i changed plugs rechecked the carb and everything is fine except for not being able to torque the exhuast to 17/7lbs is there anyone out there that can throw some ideas out for me to try? i was just looking for a lil more go and ive done the throttle stop removal and then this port otherwise the bike is stock

DZLBIKE

Where are you in Oregon? Use a feeler gauge to set your valve lash. I don't know diddly about Honda type motors, but set it at about .004" and it should get you going.

eugene and i will give that a try as i said im new to these mini bikes but im good with quads so im trying to learn as i go and thnks for your fast response

the rods are on the lifters i saw the rocker arms moving. im almost tempted to go buy a new arbour frieght motor since i cant figure this thing out. i also noticed some gas in the elbow of the air filter and dont know if that is common or not?

do i need to advance my timing if i ported my head?
no.

what did you set the valve lash to? have you re-checked it after trying to start the engine?

did you take the cam out of the engine at any time? the marks on it and the crank need to be lined up. that's what supernova is asking basically.

another thing to check is if the flywheel key broke. if it did it's possible the flywheel moved some and the ignition timing is way off.

i did not remove anything but the carb and head and i set the lash to .004 on exhuast and .003 on intake. but i will check the timing key to see if it broke