Next hacksaw project, Early engine replica

I'm pretty sure the intake spring was too heavy. I've got a lighter one in now, which I stole from a brake wheel cyl. It helped some, but still won't stay running. I need to cut it down just a little more and it should be good.

I tried an old tillotson carb on this thing and got it to stay running if I hold the throttle up a bit. It still will not idle...:doah: I tried playing with the mixture with no luck, till the engine kicked back pretty badly while I tried to idle it down. When it kicked back, it flipped the motor up on end and twisted the shroud a bit, jamming the starter rope... What I should do is take the correct valve and lifter from a vertical shaft 8 horse I have and put it in the exposed crank machine. That way the vaccum intake setup can be eliminated as a problem. I'm really getting tired of cranking this thing over. The base could be a bit wider also, maybe a couple of 2x4's would fix that. I also got the can crusher's automatic "loader" completed, but it needs another jackshaft to run slow enough to work correctly.