Orange Peel.....

I hate it....what causes it.

I had the rear wheel of the atlas painted for about 24-30 hours and then decided to recoat...

The recoat went on slick as snot and then 5 min later orange peeled like crazy....

Was the first coat still "flashing off"?

Actually looks kinda cool....think I'm going to leave it like that:wink:

It will usually "crackle" instead of orange peel. Orange peel is the bumpy texture like the peeling on an orange. To keep it from having a reaction, you usually need to recoat it within an hour or two, or wait a few weeks, then wet sand to kill the shine, and shoot it again.

Last edited:
Also known as "Alligatoring".

Orange peel is the texture left from a crappy paint job, even the pro's have to "color sand" and "buff" with compound to get a show quality finish.

If you like it that way, wait a month or so and shoot it with some adhesion promoter from Wal Mart in a spray can. Then put a few clear coats over it. Sometimes the crackle goes through all the coats, and it will rust in the cracks. The adhesion promoter will eliminate the need for color sanding, and you'll still have the crackled look.

125ccCrazy

Jim you nailed it. Crackled is a better explanation...that is exactly what happened.
some paints don't like themselves, if you wait too long after the first coat the solvents evaporate and when you apply a second coat the solvents will soften and lift the first coat, this is very common with enamels without a hardener like automotive paint.... The only thing you can do now is strip the wheel to bare metal and start over, this time get all the paint on it within a few hours of the first coat or it will happen all over again..... This also happens when spraying laquer over enamel...

yep, if you want the smooth finish, you have to start over from scratch. Even if you sand down into the first coats, there's a good chance it will do it again.
Laquer over enamel REALLY crackles, but you can make some pretty stuff if you use the right colors:thumbsup:

Yep...so it's new paint on top of bare metal that I stripped once....i'll bet this paint comes off like water colors with my trusty aircraft stripper:weld: