Painting my old Briggs engine

I need some help from the pros here on OldMiniBikes!

How clean do you need to get an engine before painting? I know the cleaner/smoother then the better the final finish, but do you need to take off ALL the old paint? What's the best method? chemical? wire brush? drill attachment?

Thanks for your help!

125ccCrazy

It depends on how nice of a finish you want... some guys use paint stripper and multiple wire wheels and brushes... when I rebuild an engine I wash it up good and then seal the engine up tight and media blast it...blasting works best IMO since it takes off all the paint, corrosion and it roughs up the surface for better paint adhesion but the engine has to be sealed up real well otherwise it's a lot of additional work making sure there isn't any sand inside..

Thanks for the reply!

I just noticed the "similar threads..."thing at the bottom of the page, and there is a bunch of great information about painting engines, so I think my questions have been answered!

I power wash my blocks to get the loose paint and grease off. If the paint is really nasty, I strip it before I tear the engine down (usually), steel wool and wire brush it. Then I hit again with the power washer or disassemble and clean with laundry detergent in a laundry sink. A little steel wool (or a lot :laugh:) and then I'm ready to reassemble, degrease and paint. The key, though, is be sure to get the grease/oil off everywhere. I take a wire wheel to all my bolts and accessory screws and clean them really carefully. Here's an example: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...ysical-mental-therapy-briggs-3hp-cousins.html