Painting the bike

Hello,this is my first question, I recently purchased a Manco Thunderbird that needs new paint. Im 54 years old, but never dealt with automotive paint before I dont want to rattle can it, for obvious reasons, gas spills eating the paint up, ect. Trying to deal with local body shops people that dont have time for small projects ect. I do have a compressor, but I heard car paint can be expensive. I would like the rims, engine red with the frame rat rod black.What are my options? I would like to do the whole thing myself. What is the proper term for the black that im looking for.Ive looked at some Old Skool Rod magazines but my wife wouldnt appreciate all the girly photos ,Can you help this old dude out? Perry

buckeye

Welcome to the fun Perry.
You mean plain ol flat black?
Hammered paint from Rustoleum is pretty foregiving for us novices.

trailramdan

if you want a cheap flat black paint job go buy some john deere blitz black tractor paint, ive painted a few cars and trucks with that color its cheap, lays down nice and looks good also i would rattle can the rims...no need for a basecoat clear coat on the rims
here is a truck i painted with this color, also how big is your compressor?

toomanytoys

Oh, I remember the salt roads.
Not sure where you have lived in your life, but for a snowy state that uses salt that thing is in good shape. Better than my 1991 Ranger. The cab mounts actually rotted off of it, soon to be followed by the bed mounts and the rear of the frame. Darn thing still ran like it was brand new!

I always waiting to go around a turn and the cab would roll off!:hammer:

It finally died when the transmission decided to shift from over drive to 1st at 65mph. Was an interesting ride!

buckeye

NW Ohio, and I was givin Dan crap.
I had a 66 Catalina as my first car. Had it about a day and a half. Punched it and the whole rear end came out from under it. That impressed my girlfriend.:laugh:

toomanytoys

NW Ohio, and I was givin Dan crap.
I had a 66 Catalina as my first car. Had it about a day and a half. Punched it and the whole rear end came out from under it. That impressed my girlfriend.:laugh:
I thought you were from Ohio at one point :laugh:

I remember when I was a kid my dad had a Dodge Dart. He had his big ole tool box in the trunk, the floor of the trunk fell out and the tool box when skidding down the road.

Back to topic!

Is that a '62 Chevy II in the back ground?
As for the paint, you can purchase the high volume,low pressure paint sprayer from HF for under 40 bucks. Over spray can be a problem. You need to make sure you have a good filter on the compressor and a dryer! H2O is bad Ju-Ju with paint. I use an oil separator and a dryer on my rig. Perhaps 60 bucks for all the goodies needed for a paint job.
The fumes and spray can be a problem. I spray at 6 AM out here while the air is calm on my drive way. I use an El-Cheapo tarp to protect the pavement and the bike frame from dust/grit.
I found that two plastic milk crates ( donated ) hold the frame high enough to get about 75% of the frame done. When dry to the touch,I rotate the frame to get the rest of it.
I have also used an HF engine stand and welded up a support frame where you can spin the frame and get all sides at once. It also works well on painting the engine ( imagine that) and other larger pieces.
If you are really hurting for support of the frame, you can use the wide pull chain on the electric garage door and use bailing wire to hang the frame.
The door is open and you place a fan to suck the fumes outside.( the fan blades will end up being painted) You still have to cover the floor and hang the frame so you don't paint the inside of the door.
Many times you can go the NAPA or other car paint store and buy a color that some one goofed-up on. You can sometimes get a really good deal on very expensive paint.
My two cents.

You can do it. Your biggest problem is going to be starting from scratch with zero supplies. The HF gun they put on sale for around $10.00 will work fine. Paint stores sell paint in 8oz amounts. You will need hardner to make if fuel proof. If you already had some supplies it would not be exspensive to paint it. If you need to buy clear and the hardner then the price can go up. 8oz of base and 8oz of clear should be enough to do a mini bike frame.

trailramdan

63 super sport
Is that a '62 Chevy II in the back ground?
As for the paint, you can purchase the high volume,low pressure paint sprayer from HF for under 40 bucks. Over spray can be a problem. You need to make sure you have a good filter on the compressor and a dryer! H2O is bad Ju-Ju with paint. I use an oil separator and a dryer on my rig. Perhaps 60 bucks for all the goodies needed for a paint job.
The fumes and spray can be a problem. I spray at 6 AM out here while the air is calm on my drive way. I use an El-Cheapo tarp to protect the pavement and the bike frame from dust/grit.
I found that two plastic milk crates ( donated ) hold the frame high enough to get about 75% of the frame done. When dry to the touch,I rotate the frame to get the rest of it.
I have also used an HF engine stand and welded up a support frame where you can spin the frame and get all sides at once. It also works well on painting the engine ( imagine that) and other larger pieces.
If you are really hurting for support of the frame, you can use the wide pull chain on the electric garage door and use bailing wire to hang the frame.
The door is open and you place a fan to suck the fumes outside.( the fan blades will end up being painted) You still have to cover the floor and hang the frame so you don't paint the inside of the door.
Many times you can go the NAPA or other car paint store and buy a color that some one goofed-up on. You can sometimes get a really good deal on very expensive paint.
My two cents.

Not sure where you have lived in your life, but for a snowy state that uses salt that thing is in good shape. Better than my 1991 Ranger. The cab mounts actually rotted off of it, soon to be followed by the bed mounts and the rear of the frame. Darn thing still ran like it was brand new!

I always waiting to go around a turn and the cab would roll off!:hammer:

It finally died when the transmission decided to shift from over drive to 1st at 65mph. Was an interesting ride!
Wow!

That sounds intense. And in that weather? You are a lucky man. Working on rebuilding my engine as we speak. Died on me on the freeway. But hopefully I get it up and running in no time, that baby has worked magic for years now and would hate to loose it. :scooter: