Powell Brotherhood New Members

thanks for the welcome and all your help Don ..my powell is s/n4458-E that i got as a roller from tomas.i live in ohio and this is the first powell that ive ever seen. ive been looking at a lot of pictures to fabricate the missing pieces.so far ive made the brake assembly, seat,seat mounting bracket,kick stand,wing nuts.my garage is starting to look like the powell factory lol.i hope i can count on the powell brotherhood for some help in bringing this old challenger back to life :thumbsup:
my next step is converting this one into an earlier D style tilt motor mount bike with shifter so i can use a copper 5hp briggs that i have.....Ron

i just think the frames look like they were made for a briggs .and i like the shifter up on the backbone lol . when im flying thru the neighborhood on it i dont want to have to reach behind my left leg to grab second gear :laugh:

george3

i just think the frames look like they were made for a briggs .and i like the shifter up on the backbone lol . when im flying thru the neighborhood on it i dont want to have to reach behind my left leg to grab second gear :laugh:
You dont have to change it. lock in low or just drive in high. Its not a shifter.

what would you run in it george ? i have a strong running 5 hp briggs the tecumseh is a worn out 3.5 ? if i had a good hs40 maybe. i believe this is actually a D model frame that was modified into an an early E transition frame at the factory to fit the tecumseh. i like the looks of a D better and nobody around here would know the difference anyways lol.

Last edited:

george3

what would you run in it george ? i have a strong running 5 hp briggs the tecumseh is a worn out 3.5 ? if i had a good hs40 maybe. i believe this is actually a D model frame that was modified into an an early E transition frame at the factory to fit the tecumseh. i like the looks of a D better and nobody around here would know the difference anyways lol.
Run a 6.5 in it I have done a few my self.

george , if this were a bike i was lucky enough to ride everyday i would
consider a 6.5... for me , this bike has to have an old school flathead . :laugh:
can anyone tell me if this is a factory hole in the backbone where the shifter bracket bolted ?

george3

george , if this were a bike i was lucky enough to ride everyday i would
consider a 6.5... for me , this bike has to have an old school flathead . :laugh:
can anyone tell me if this is a factory hole in the backbone where the shifter bracket bolted ?
It looks as the same area as the D model but look at the blue bike I posted It was used as a cable holder. Do you have the driven Pully for a D model or E model? When they made the E model they Prob. used the same frame and swing arm. Re located the driven pulley to the main bolt on the swing arm then relocated the shifter at the pully. No more engine tilt No more briggs engine in 1970.

Last edited:
i dont have any of the drive system . i just made up a tilt engine mount and welded it on .the old briggs moves sweet on the new mount :thumbsup: making the shifter now.i carefully removed the tecumseh crossmember and will save it .
do you think the hole was already in the frame for the shifter bracket and the powells just stuck a cable clamp there to fill the hole up ? i cant see them drilling a hole just for a cable clamp.

early model E 4607 and model D
These pictures show powell was using old D style frames and were phasing out the tilt motor mounts due to the unavailibilty of the briggs motor..
Powell later made additional mods to the motor mount by making it a solid plate.

Later model E solid engine plate

i hope this comes out right .. does anybody know what size the ball is on a powell shifter ? :laugh: also my swing arm spring seems to be weak , has anybody swapped theirs out for a modern replacement ? mcmaster car shows a spring thats 1 1/2'' x 5'' with a 270 pound load rate . does that sound about right ?
made a new axle adjuster today ..thanks for your help...Ron

i hope this comes out right .. does anybody know what size the ball is on a powell shifter ? :laugh: also my swing arm spring seems to be weak , has anybody swapped theirs out for a modern replacement ? mcmaster car shows a spring thats 1 1/2'' x 5'' with a 270 pound load rate . does that sound about right ?
made a new axle adjuster today ..thanks for your help...Ron
Nice !!
Here is a couple of pictures of the Powell chain adjuster with some dimensions.
Its made from 3/16" stock there are 3 holes the hole at the top that is used to adjust the chains tension is a 1/4" threaded hole...the other holes where the axle slides thru and bolts the wheel to the swing arm are 13/16" and 3/8"
Hope this helps..

Last edited: