Powell chainguards on e-bay

MiniBike Paul

OK - I bought the metal one, who paid all that $$$$$ for the plastic one????

Item number: 370510923401
Powell Mini Bike N.O.S. Plastic Chain Guard .1970
Item condition: --
Ended: May 24, 201118:20:42 PDT
Winning bid: US $171.38 [ 19 bids ]
Shipping: Varies based on location and shipping method
Seller: Member id mikesjukes ( Feedback Score Of 2724)

MiniBike Paul

Back when I was a serious racer I had a crew chief who was/is a master metal guy! After me, he moved to Mooresville and worked for a bunch of Cup teams, then to Indy where he restored old Kurtis Midgets and some vintage Indy stuff, and now he is in Reno at a shop that restores multi-million dollar sports cars!

During the auction I showed him the chainguard pictures and he assures me he can/will make it perfect - with that behind me it was easy to buy!!

I had a bid on the plastic one also, at $160, and figured I had it way more than covered - $171 is amazing to me!! Sure would love to know who is that serious about his Powell!! I think it is terrific that there are others who feel that strongly about minibikes!!

MiniBike Paul

Too much money and too many Powell clutch covers are a real problem! Sort of like being too cool and too good looking, problems I have had to deal with my whole life!! LOL!!!!

Too much money and too many Powell clutch covers are a real problem! Sort of like being too cool and too good looking, problems I have had to deal with my whole life!! LOL!!!!
The only thing I have in common or can relate to in the statement above is the part about having too many clutch covers...:doah:

Mac

$171 is amazing to me!! Sure would love to know who is that serious about his Powell!! I think it is terrific that there are others who feel that strongly about minibikes!!
....I'm not one of those who feel strongly.
I'm perfectly happy with a $10.00 crappy fiberglass copy:

Powell guards

Ok, speaking of Powell chain guards. You guys got me thinking. I never had really looked at mine. Looks like a hacksaw job on the bottom by a previous owner. Pretty crude. Then I put it on the bike and without this mod it never would have mounted because the one attachment hole would not have lined up. It slotted to fit and would never have gone that low without the cuts. Factory job or sometime later the wrong guard being adapted to fit this model?
This bike was bought by a Powell employee when new so maybe he did his own thing?
What do you think?

Dave
Is the clutch cover made out of plastic?
picture # 3 sure looks like its plastic..In which case I would venture to say it is NOT original to this early model Powell

No, its metal. All 3 pictures are of the same piece. It actually looks a lot like the last picture that Mac posted. The mounting hole on the flat section is much closer to the raised section than any of the five that were in your post. What I mean it appears farther to the left as we look at it and close to were it bumps out. Also, it has one hole instead of two.

oldfatguy

wouldn't it be nice if someone could find the original dies to stamp them out ? the only down side is the originals wouldn't be worth so much.

MiniBike Paul

The first post here never said what model Powell this is - don't we need to know that first?? Don, you said "this early model", but we don't know that, do we?? It appears not to have a tilt or 2 speed, so wouldn't that hint it is a later model?? Plus, I thought that there are different shape plastic covers?? Don, you're the man, tell us!!!!!!!

MiniBike Paul

CC51 - make good copies and the world will beat a path to your door (me for sure!). If I really ever get to see Robert Bruce's stash it will be exciting to see what he really has - he knows he has some plastic ones but is not sure what they are! Don, your collection shown above is incredible!!

Last edited: