Project Middle Skool

Scottessey

Hey Fellas, I've been working on this one for a little while. I almost entered it in the build off but I was a little busy and didn't want a deadline. :facepalm:

A middle school kid from church, familiar with my mini bike hobby, started asking about mini bikes. He's one of my good friend's sons, so I told him I'd let him ride one sometime. He said, "no, I don't want to just ride one...I want to make one". So, that's where this all started. The next thing you know, I have a squad of middle school dudes wanting to get in on it. I had a little circle of them around me after church every Sunday. They are all sons of good friends of mine.

I chose to resurrect an old Hornet that I had laying around. It was in bad shape...like, really bad shape! I called a few OldMiniBikes pals, and it wasn't long before I had enough parts to put together a rider. This thing has parts from K&S, Bonanza, Rupp, Fox, Arctic Cat, as well as some custom parts. The whole top of the frame had to come off, so I decided to lower it a couple inches. I had to make a new eingine mounting plate, as well as the head (fork) tube on the front of the frame. But, once the fab was done the fellas came over for the prebuild. Some of these guys hadn't used a ratchet before. The assembled the wheels and tires, jockeyed for whose turn it was for the next steps, and had a pretty good time. It's almost ready now...we'll be getting together for a ride pretty soon. I need to figure out how to adjust the throttle so I can start them off really slow, then when they have the hang of it, I can speed them up a bit.

So here's some pics...

6doggie3

Nice Scott that's a sweet mini bike!
We need some info what paint was used on the frame and motor?
And which one of the four young guy's that got the ball rolling?

capguncowboy

To date, this is probably my favorite mini bike story. It looks awesome too!

I can't wait for someone local -- anyone -- to show any interest in the hobby!

Scott. This is pretty cool. The kids look like they are having fun working with you on this project and like said earlier they will always remember this and remember you for working with them. Very nice and the kind heart you have for all this. This put a nice smile on my face reading this. Hope there is more kindness out there like this . wish more of the new generation would get into hobbies like this.

Thanks Fellas. This has been a whole lot of fun. The ringleader is second from the left (camo shorts). He's a budding craftsman. Not long ago, he told me that he's been watching YouTube videos to learn how to cast metal at home. :laugh:

I asked the powder coater to make it red, so I'm not sure exactly which it is. The engine is a single stage from a Volkswagen Beetle from a few years back. :thumbsup:

More pics coming soon!

Scott there's a good reason why this site would not be the same without you and the faces on those boys says it all.
Very nice mini you guys are building there and thanks for sharing!