Putting a chain tensioner on a Murray track 2/Honda Clone

Here is a picture during the build:

The bike runs great except for the chain constantly falling off. I have tried pushing the engine on the frame to the front and back. I have replaced the washers and other hardware to ensure the engine does not move while in use. I have tried to make the chain as tight as possible, and still after use the chain will fall off. I have also ensured the the chain is straight and not crooked. I have come to the conclusion that the chain is shaking far too much and it simply falls off of the sprocket. This is the hardware I am using:

Clutch #35 12T 3/4" - Max Torque
Steel Sprocket - 66 Tooth / #35 Chain
#35 Chain (Standard) 10' - AZ4008
#35 Standard Chain

I need to fabricate some sort of tensioner so that the chain does not shake too much. Is there any suggestions you may have to solve this problem? My next move will be to upgrade the clutch/sprocket/chain to #41 but I really do not want to. Also, is this chain strong enough/qualified for this bike?

Thanks!

Last edited:
weird, I've never had problems on my murray with your same set up....i mean exact same.

what exact order of bolt/washers/nuts are you using to fasten the engine to the plate?

That chain can handle the power fine. What many do it make a chain tensioner using a skate board wheel. Make something to look like this and bolt it to the frame under the chain. Get a spring to add tension adn you should be fine.

weird, I've never had problems on my murray with your same set up....i mean exact same.

what exact order of bolt/washers/nuts are you using to fasten the engine to the plate?
Well at first it was just the bolt and two lock washers. We replaced that with new bolts, a lock washer (the real thin ones and then larger ones). Then on the bottom there is a large washer followed by another lock washer.

Is it possible I have the clutch on wrong? The outer disc (part that does not spin when at idle) shakes allot. Naturally, it has a a little play to begin with. When a finger is placed on it (when cool) the chain significantly stops shaking.

That chain can handle the power fine. What many do it make a chain tensioner using a skate board wheel. Make something to look like this and bolt it to the frame under the chain. Get a spring to add tension adn you should be fine.

Would you happen to know where I can pick this up? There is an open bolt hole on the engine right by the chain and I think that this piece would work perfect. As I am learning though, with these things it requires frequent visits to the hardware store :doah:

EDIT - Found this. http://www.killermotorsports.com/Standard_Chain_Tensioner_for_Most_Pit_Bikes_p/cpct-1.htm

Ill keep looking.

I have a Murray too and I'm running #41 chain with no problems. Matter of fact its the smoothest running mini I have. Try using a straight piece of metal/rod and check alignment by placing the straight edge as close to the point sprocket mounts to the hub to check it. My motor is a Briggs and I have it about in the middle of the slots and as far left as it will go and its right on. Good Luck