Question about 2 speed jackshaft

Kenny1

Ok, so I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how these things work. I understand the idea behind it but it seems to me that when the clutch on the engine engages that it would make the secondary clutch engage. Wouldnt the shaft be spinning the same speed as the engine? I know they work, but does anyone have some experience using them and was it worth the extra time. Thinking about using one on my Ruttman. Thanks guys

When the engine clutch engages the jackshaft will only travel as fast as the engine clutch pulls the bike, until it gets to the rpm that engages the clutch on the jackshaft. that's when the second gear (on the jackshaft clutch) kicks in to pull it even faster, Now you have two clutches pulling the bike.
I hope this helps, it's the best explaination I can put to words. It is a weird concept, but straight math none the less.

MINI-MATIC

2 Speed Setup

HI,THE ONE WAY GEAR WITH MORE TEETH ON THE JACKSHAFT IS YOUR 1ST GEAR,WHEN THE DRIVEN CLUTCH ON THE JACK SHAFT GRABS IT TAKES OVER.THIS CLUTCH WILL HAVE LESS TEETH THEN THE FIRST GEAR MAKEING IT SPIN FASTER.AS THIS IS HAPPENING,THE FIRST GEAR IS ACTUALLY FREE WHEELING. IN RELATIONSHIP TO THE DRIVEN CLUTCH,THE FIRST GEAR SPROCKET IS ACTUALLY GOING BACKWARDS!:.IF THE FIRST GEAR DIDNT FREEWHEEL,THE DRIVEN WOULD SMOKE AND NOT BE ABLE TO GRAB AND WOULD FAIL! I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.:scooter::scooter:

MINI-MATIC

Re Engine Breaking

IF YOUR SPEAKING OF ENGINE FAILURE USEING A 2 SPEED SETUP.IT WOULDNT BE ANY WORSE THEN RUNNING A TYPICAL ENGINE WITHOUT THE GOVERNOR.THE 2 SPEED SETUP MUST BE USED WITHOUT A GOVERNOR TO WORK PROPERLY.OTHERWISE,THE BIKE WILL SHIFT UP AND DOWN ON ITS OWN BASED UPON HOW THE GOVERNOR IS OPERATEING AT ANY GIVEING TIME.I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.:thumbsup::smile::scooter:

I think he meant engine Braking like when you decellerate with the engine provide a load on the drivetrain to slow the bike, kind of like downshifting into a lower gear before going downhill.

The low gear has twice as many teeth as the drive clutch. The jackshaft clutch is supposed to kick in at around 2800 engine rpms, governor or not. Lots of bikes came from the factory with 2 speeds and governors. The whole thing reacts to rpms, governed or ungoverned.

MINI-MATIC

Re Governor On 2 Speed Setups

SPEAKING WITH RAY MICHRINA,THE ORIGINAL MAKER OF THE LIL INDIAN MODELS 600 AND 6000 AND THE FIRST PEOPLE TO COME UP WITH THE 2 SPEED SETUPS.RAY HIMSELF MADE MENTION THAT THE 2 SPEED SETUP WOULD NOT WORK PROPERLY WITH A GOVERNOR ,THAT IT WOULD SHIFT UP AND DOWN ERATICALLY BECAUSE OF THE GOVERNOR.THEY TESTED THIS OUT BEFORE PUTTING THEM ON THE MARKET.FOR THIS REASON,THEIR BIKES WITH THE 2 SPEED SETUPS ALWAYS CAME WITHOUT THE GOVERNORS HOOKED UP.:thumbsup:

The gov wouldn't effect the 2 speed clutch and I never noticed any down shifting unless you are going real slow and dogging it. coming to a stop is like a regular clutch.

The bike will free wheel after the rpms drop, just like with a regular clutch.

Did Lil Indians use Comet 2 speeds or their own design? I have a couple of Comets running with governors. They will double shift if you lug at the shifting point. It took me a couple of runs up the road and back to figure out how to avoid it.:thumbsup:

Kenny1

Ok I think I got it. The second clutch has to have a higher rpm engagement then the first. Thats the only way I could see it working. I have a clutch that can go on the engine that starts engaging at 2000 rpm. I also have on that comes in around 3200 rpm that can go on the jackshaft.

Ok I think I got it. The second clutch has to have a higher rpm engagement then the first. Thats the only way I could see it working. I have a clutch that can go on the engine that starts engaging at 2000 rpm. I also have on that comes in around 3200 rpm that can go on the jackshaft.
You need a clutch on the engine that has two sprockets and you're running two chains from the engine.

MINI-MATIC

Re 2 Speed W/govenor Setup

LOOKS LIKE I FINALLY HAVE SOMEONE THAT AGREES WITH ME ON THE 2 SPEED GOVENOR ISSUE,BUIT PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:.LIL INDIAN'S DIDN'T COME WITH COMET 2 SPEED SETUPS WHICH ACTUALLY ARE A POOR DESIGN!.THE DRIVEN CLUTCH ON THE JACKSHAFT ON SOME OF THEM IF NOT ALL,USED METAL SHOES,ON TOP OF THAT,THE CLUTCH IS A WIDE OPEN DESIGN WITH THE SHOES EXPOSED TO THE SPROCKET ALLOWING ALL THE GARB FROM THE CHAIN,DIRT AND WHAT EVER TO GET INTO THE DRUM AREA,AND FINALLY THE SPROCKET IS ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE OPEN DRUM AREA,TOTALLY REDICULOUS!!!THAT'S WHY YOU NEVER REALLY FEEL THE TRANSITION FROM 1ST GEAR TO 2ND!!,THAT'S BECAUSE THE DRIVEN CLUTCH IS ACTUALLY SLIPPING UNTIL THE BIKE GETS UP TO SPEED AT WHICH TIME THE CLUTCH WILL BE FULLY ENGAGED!.WITH THIS SAID,I MAY AGREE THAT YOU MAY NOT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE WITH A GOVENOR ON THE ENGINE OR NOT .ON THE COMET SETUP,YOU REALLY DONT NOTICE THE UP SHIFT OR DOWN SHIFT.ON THE LIL INDIAN THOUGH,THEY USED A FAIRBANKS MORSE DRIVEN CLUTCH,A MUCH BETTER DESIGN THEN THE COMET! TOTALLY ENCLOSED WITH THE SPROCKET ON THE OTHER SIDE ,YOU ACTUALLY FEEL THE TRANSITION FROM 1ST TO 2ND.IF YOU HAVE GOOD 5 HP USEING THIS SETUP YOU CAN TAKE OFF LIGHT ON THE THROTTLE,NOT TO WHEELIE,THEN PUNCH IT ,WHEN THE BIKE SHIFTS OUT TO 2ND,YOU CAN RAISE THE FRONT END UP ON THE BIKE.ALMOST LIKE A SHIFT KIT ON A CAR,THE BIKE WILL SLAM INTO 2ND GEAR,REALLY COOL.WITH THIS SAID THE UP AND DOWN SHIFTING ON THE LIL INDIAN IS MUCH MORE NOTICEABLE,THIS IS WHY A GOVERNOR SETUP DOESNT WORK RIGHT ON THE FAIRBANKS SETUP!!.I TRIED IT TODAY MYSELF TO CONFIRM THIS..THIS IS IN THE RPM RANGE JUST BELOW OR ABOVE THE EGAGEMENT POINT OF THE DRIVEN CLUTCH .I ORIGINALLY WROTE THAT THE GOVERNOR SETUPS DIDNT WORK ON THE 2 SPEEDS,I GUESS I WAS MAINLY REFERRING TO THE LIL INDIAN FAIRBANKS SETUPS AND DIDNT THINK ABOUT THE COMET SETUPS,SO I WAS WRONG ON IT NOT WORKING IN ALL CASES.:scooter:

Kenny1

Right. Two sprockets on the drive clutch. Already have one of those. Gonna try to find the large sprocket part for the jackshaft separate so I can use the high rpm clutch I already have for second gear. As far as the governor goes, it wont be an issue, as there will not be one present. Hanging a wheeling into second gear sounds like a good time. Thanks guys

MINI-MATIC

Re Clutch On The Engine Vs Clutch On The Jackshaft

The Clutch On The Engine Is Not Directly Related To The Clutch On The Jackshaft,rather The Differnce Between The First Gear's Number Of Teeth On The Jackshaft And The Engagement Rpm Of The Driven Clutch On The Jackshaft Is Whats Important,the Higher The Rpm Is On The Driven Clutches Engagement,the Longer The First Gear Will Go Without Shifting Into Second,too High And It Could Be An Issue With Your Engine Blowing Up,reving To High Between First And Second,or If Your To Low Of An Engagement,you Wont Be In A Good Power Band For The Upshift.i Would Try Each Of The Clutches And Pick The One That Bests Suits You.

MINI-MATIC

Re Large Sprocket For Jackshaft

HI KENNY1,MAKE SURE THE SPROCKET YOU GET FOR THE JACKSHAFT IS A FREE WHEELING SPROCKET.KEEP US POSTED HOW YOUR SETUP WORKS OUT.IF BY CHANCE YOU ENGAGEMENT ISNT RIGHT BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND,I HAVE AN EXTRA FAIRBANKS DRIVEN CLUTCH I MAY SELL YOU.:hammer:

Kenny, just remember your jackshaft will be running half the speed of the engine. The Comet jackshaft clutch engages at 1400-1500rpm. That would be 2800-3000 engine rpm. If you used a 3200, you would have to do 6400rpms before it engaged.

I drive the comets the same way. take off easy then punch it. That makes the rpms come up quick before it shifts.

Last edited:
not to jack the thread but does anyone have a pic of the correct setup of a 2 speed jackshaft assembly on a bike? i just picked up another mini w/ one and i think the p/o might have set it up wrong.