recoil spring bending

zeeman

Does anyone have a good technique for bending a starter recoil spring? Just as I was going to put it on, it broke on one end. I need to know if I have to temper the steel, does heat help, will it stay in shape, etc.? Thanks.

Your screwed.

You can't bend it with removing the temper first.

Odds are you will creat a brittle spot trying to soften the end. If you know a black smith, someone who is familiar with tempering steel they could reshape the end. Heat treating thats an almost impossible to find skill these days

Zeeman, Go to any metal recycling place or scrap yard that buys aluminum. Old motors up the whazoo....at least around here. They're not interested in the steel parts and will probably let you have the recoil assemblies for free or at the most you can buy the whole motor for the price of scrap aluminum. Salvage the spring or maybe even use the entire assembly and you're in business. Ogy

well given your screwed anyway try this . i have taken and heated the end of the spring till its a deep blue /black color. after cleaning off any grease oil ect. heating to that stage will pull almost all the hardness out of it . you can bend it up or file it if need be . try it if it snaps try again . what ya got to lose ??what some time and a busted spring ,give it a try i have done it and had them work for years . some only a week or 2 but still long enough to get new one in

zeeman

Ogy, I have been meaning to go by the local scrap yard to check out the vintage engine supply. Last time I went, I saw a nice old Homelite chainsaw in a dumpster but my back would not let me crawl down there to get it. I'm better now though. Thanks for reminding me. Ride On! Are you sure you're not Billy Gibbons?

zeeman

Thanks Metalman. I actually got it bent without having to heat it. Only broke off one half inch or so. Not too bad. I'm going now to figure out how it all goes back together. Stupid me forgot to put the memory card back in my camera, and was too lazy to go back inside to get it. Pictures would be nice right now, but I just had to try and bend it.

it must have broke on the factory annealed part . glad ya got it . what kind of recoil is it , maybe someone has a pic of it or can tell ya how it goes :shrug:

zeeman

It is on a H25 Tecumseh. I got it back together, and it seems to be working great for now. While I was having an ADD moment, I took off the side cover because the oil looked like milk chocolate with lumps of poo in it. I've never gotten this far inside an engine before, so wish me luck. Thanks.

..a lot of the big bandsaws like DoAll have a blade welder built onto the machine for making/repairing the long saw blades. The also have an annealing feature on them that allows you to take the temper out of the short welded section when you are done...this allows the finished blade the flexibility to curve around the wheels without cracking at the weld. I wonder if you clamped the end of the re-coil spring in the fixture and annealed it if that would work....have to try it sometime.:rolleyes:

You can heat and bend it.

Trouble is once you disturb the temper in the steel the next place it will break is just at the edge of where you heated .

I might have been a bit negative in my fiost post and I don't want to discourage you but there will be a hard spot on that spring once you heat it where it will be more prone to crakc an break again ( I have done this with lawn boys and sometimes you can get a year or more out of the fix ).

The other thing is this is tempered steel. Bending it cold will work harden it even more if it does not snap in the attempt to bend. Again this makes the hook more likely to break again in that area.

125ccCrazy

for the low cost of a new spring thats the best way to go....for myself once a spring breaks I toss it, if it breaks once it will probably break again...thats been my experience...

clean it real well with kerosene or brake cleaner, maybe pull the rod cap and inspect the rod and crank journal..

zeeman

Thanks guys. If I got it back together right, I will be riding this afternoon. I am going to get a new spring when I can find one. I am just itching to hear it run, and want to be able to put it back together totally. I could start it with a drill. I made a tool to go on my drill out of a socket and a bolt. Pretty simple.