Serengeti Badger 100 Upgrade

Hi, I am getting ready to help a friend put a lager engine on his Serengeti Badger 100.

He purchased a Predator 212cc.

From the pictures he sent me it looks like it should be an easy job. But, I cannot see the clutch assembly. I don't know what to expect with the clutch assembly and chain area.

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a diagram for the clutch assembly. Does anyone have access to a diagram or repair manual of this area please?

Also, any comments that will help with fitting a new sprocket and switching this engine are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick ... I wont be very encouraging but here goes ...

I bought a new, never used Badger roller over the winter .... it is on the low end of Chinese quality. The welds have poor penetration and lots of porosity making them weak. I was going to put a Honda GX160 with a TAV on it.
What I learned from this site is the swing arm is a very weak spot. A powerful motor will cause damage without reinforcing the swing arm.

The motor will need a PMR plate or holes drilled in the weak looking mounting plate to line it up with the sprocket. Maybe the clutch mounted on the shaft with the teeth out will work? With a PMR plate the motor was raised up too high to easily access the gas cap on the Honda.

I put my Badger on CL to kick it down the road .... then my brother called just before it was to be sold and suggested a 3.5 hp Briggs motor ... The motor fits the space well and isn't so powerful that will break the frame easily.

I don't like the chain guide and tensioner, looks like a poor afterthought tho I have never seen the bike with an original motor.

I will keep it but it will be used as a training bike for newbie riders to beat on and crash.

Hi Rick ... I wont be very encouraging but here goes ...

I bought a new, never used Badger roller over the winter .... it is on the low end of Chinese quality. The welds have poor penetration and lots of porosity making them weak. I was going to put a Honda GX160 with a TAV on it.
What I learned from this site is the swing arm is a very weak spot. A powerful motor will cause damage without reinforcing the swing arm.

The motor will need a PMR plate or holes drilled in the weak looking mounting plate to line it up with the sprocket. Maybe the clutch mounted on the shaft with the teeth out will work? With a PMR plate the motor was raised up too high to easily access the gas cap on the Honda.

I put my Badger on CL to kick it down the road .... then my brother called just before it was to be sold and suggested a 3.5 hp Briggs motor ... The motor fits the space well and isn't so powerful that will break the frame easily.

I don't like the chain guide and tensioner, looks like a poor afterthought tho I have never seen the bike with an original motor.

I will keep it but it will be used as a training bike for newbie riders to beat on and crash.

Thanks very much for the helpful information SixPack! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

If you think of anything else that we might need to know please share it as well.

I wonder if anyone knows what kind of clutch these Badger's come with from the factory, manual or cetrifugal, or torque converter?

Sixpac gave you some good information. The raised PMR plate is a must because of the design of the motor plate. I think OldMiniBikes has some motor plates also. These bikes are not designed for adults and the swing arm weld is weak. I put a predator in mine with no problem.

Not too bad. You have to go easy with the throttle. If you went with the carb kit, header and aircleaner it would be a bit more dangerous. I have those upgrades on a few other mini bikes and it makes a big difference.