should they make pot legal ?

oldfatguy

Frank-Paul pot bill aims to let states legalize marijuana

they are introducing legislation that could lead to making pot legal by removing federal laws what are your opinions ?

I'm trying to post this in a way that it wouldn't offend anyone's aversion to political discussion. But I think this is something that we could reasonably discuss without getting into the political side of it. There are a few states that allow medical marijuana but they find themselves in conflict with federal law

toomanytoys

You can drink alcohol, why not smoke pot? Its the same difference. How many people a year are killed by a drunk person? Be it driving, beating, accidents, stupidity? All in the same, yet alcohol is legal.

Excessive alcohol consumption is associated with approximately 75,000 deaths per year.2
Alcohol is a factor in approximately 41% of all deaths from motor vehicle crashes.3
Among youth, the use of alcohol and other drugs has been linked to unintentional injuries, physical fights, academic and occupational problems, and illegal behavior.
So, why not pot? The government makes too much money off letting us drink ourselves stupid, so why not smoke pot too?! It could solve ALL of our problems.

I'm not saying the government should ban alcohol, or legalize pot, or whatever, I guess my point is, if the government is making money off of it, it will probably be done.

buckeye

I thought by now it would be. Think of the revenue. The savings of the war against drugs. The saving of incarceration of useres. The laws are caotic. The use of pot hasnt changed in years. people still use their local "dealer" to obtain it. People are using it and paying the "dealer" and those funds could be going to help pave our roads,support many otehr programs that are so underfunded. I have always felt it should be legal. The argument it is a gateway drug is BS. Just because you smoke a little doesnt mean you are going to move on to crack,heroin,ect. I would rather be one the road with a pot head or hang around with a pot head any day than an alcolic induced out of control bone head. go to the store get a pack and be done with it. It Createjobs. Anyway That is my 2 cents.

Tough call! On the one hand; if you legalize pot you will have millions of "wasted" potheads driving on the highways. On the other hand; if you legalize it the state could license growers, sell it, regulate it, and tax it. Thereby increasing revenues, putting a lot of the drug dealers and smugglers out of business, and freeing up the police to pursue drug DUI's which produce more revenues (fines) instead of using a swat team to bust some kid with a quarter of an ounce in his pocket (big waste of money and resources). Moral issues aside (state selling drugs to its citizens) I makes more sense from an economical perspective to legalize it. By the way: Never tried it. Ogy

Reefer is ok with me.:sleep1:
Just be safe and dont be an idiot.
But Ogy brought up a good point. For the younger crowd (or even the older) who have never tried it but now see that "Hey, it's legal, why not"?! That's when you get in a mess with people that can't really handle that type of "high". Some act goofy as hell and are harmless, but others who can't function right witll think it's ok to get in the car and drive all over the place while smoking and then over do it. I could go on and on about this subject, but I'll cut my pennies short here.
Next thing you know, we'll be hearing of car accidents involving people being impaled by glass bongs.

Last edited:
having smoked pot 100,s or 1000,s of times in my younger years, i can say for sure you are much safer smoking a joint and driving down the road than you are after drinking alcohol. i have not smoked in over 10 years, it just made me tired and gave me the munchies, even though me and slick willie never inhaled.

Yes, Hell yes!!! I cant wait. Even though I wont be able to smoke it due to drug testing at work. We follow the D.O.T guild lines and I don't think they will change even if they do legalize it??? That's alright though, 5 more years and I will be sitting on my porch smoking a big ol fatty laughing at even the stupidest things.:eek:ut:

Legalize it! Try to find one cop who's against it. They're tired of wasting time dealing with petty pot related busts. I personally don't think the number of people who smoke it will change that much.

buckeye

So majority of responders say yes. Do you think the majority of the country would say yes if the responce was annonomous? I know plenty of folks who burn(on the sly) that if the general public knew, they would say Dr so and so or officer so and so smokes pot. I would much rather be around people high than drunk. More people die from alcohol related health issues, alcohol related auto accidents, alcohol related assults, alcohol related... You get my point. I have done both. I quit drinking due to issues with my wife. She can't handle it so I had to quit so she wouldn't be tempted. I didn't think I would ever not have a beer around but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. There is NO Doubt in my mind. The green is much less of a problem so it should be legal and I would vote for anyone that would support legalization.

The Alcohol interests has lobby groups to prevent pot from becoming legal . Just is not going to happen . Do you realize the impact of Budweiser's profit losses if pot becomes legal . Iowa would have to close down it's only largest employers , That's the prison system . Iowa just loves to waste taxpayers money on the court system and prisons and screwing people on drug abuse counselors , they would be out of a job if pot is legal .

It should have never been illegal. It's has helped me more than half my life.

How is it we could take 10 lil legal pills and die . But I can't smoke a lil weed that will get me hungry and sleepy no matter the amount . Don't make sence to me .
Damn that Nixon . :laugh:

Yes, Hell yes!!! I cant wait. Even though I wont be able to smoke it due to drug testing at work. We follow the D.O.T guild lines and I don't think they will change even if they do legalize it??? That's alright though, 5 more years and I will be sitting on my porch smoking a big ol fatty laughing at even the stupidest things.:eek:ut:

LMao!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes it should be legal. But think of what can happen later on. what if all the beer companies start to go out of business?? thousands of jobs will be lost, and whos going to sponsor Sports games and Nascar?? weed does have a calming affect that gives you the munchies and is alot better for your health than Alcohol.

Last edited: