Should this work? fuel line inlet problem.

Its a two stoke and the engine is not from this bike. Its a KT43 kawasaki 110cc that I got from CL. I cant get it to run without starting fluid. It has fresh gas and fresh 2 stroke oil mixed in. Brand new spark plug. I know its not getting fuel and I have the gas line valve open when Im trying to start it. Is the way the gas line runs a problem? I was thinking about cutting that little piece off the carb and clamping the hose on so it goes straight in from the side and not from the bottom.

Attachments

CarPlayLB

the gas valve is closed in this picture!
don't use starting fluid on 2 strokes! They need the oil in the mix for lubrication!

I know its closed. I shut it when Im done working on it or trying to start it. I needed to know if it would run so gave it a small shot of starting fluid, its not gonna hurt it.

CarPlayLB

The gas line is fine. You may want to clean the inside of the carb. Can you verify that fuel is getting in the bowl? Anything that has sat idle may have some corrosion in the carb.
Nice little engine! Let's some more pics of that!

I removed the bowl from the carb and it has fresh gas in it and doesnt look dirty. Its not a regular carb like the tecumsehs I worked on. Im buying the manual for the engine in a few days. I want to clean the carb and get new gaskets where it mounts to the block.

The fuel line and tank to inlet relationship look fine. Is this engine mounted on a slant, or is that just the way it looks in the photo? You did say it has fuel in the bowl, but does it have enough?

I have the engine mounted to a 71 rupp frame lol. I bought the frame with the intentions of building it but the frame had a few rewelds and wasnt worth my time or $$$ so I put some spare parts on it.

After I pull start it a few times and check the plug its definitely getting fuel... I pulled the plug to let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure the kt43 its a float carb? I can level the engine out a little but not sure if that would be enough. The guy I got the engine from said it would run on angle lol I'm really close to scrapping this thing minus the engine.

CarPlayLB

I am 100% sure that carb that is on it is a float carb...and it is not crazy about angles. You diaphragm carb is a much better choice, but they may be a tad small for that motor. The diaphragm carb off the side popper really choke down in the middle of the carb. Can you take some better pics of the carb mount area and maybe from the PTO side? I think it's a cool little motor and would like to see you get it running!

Tom, that is why I specified those Rupps which came with a bowl carb, not "All Rupps".

Not a lot of info on this engine, but it sure looks like a float carb. Then again, you say you had the bowl off and saw fuel. A diaphragm carb doesn't hold fuel in a bowl. Also, when you had that bowl off, you could have looked up and seen any floats there or not.

Not a common engine, and people here are just trying to be of assistance. I wouldn't rebuild a 3HP Tec diaphragm carb for this project. I'd fabricate an adapter for the intake and get it level, or I'd get a knock off 1" bore Tilly for less than $40, but that, or any other carb might require an adapter as well.

Before I did ANY of that, I'd unbolt the motor, set it on a bench and get it running run way or the other before spending a dime. Disassemble that carb and set the floats level (if it has them) and use carb cleaner and get all the tiny holes cleaned. Then run it on a flat surface. That will eliminate a lot.

I just stripped it down to bare frame and swingarm and put it out front for garbage. Its not worth my time making an adapter for the intake. I have plenty of other minibikes to work on right now. No more rupps for me.

Before you scrap the frame, put a want ad here and see if anyone may want it for some cash. Every frame destroyed is one less in the world.

Doc