Spacer depth for Lil Indian 4" wheel sprocket?

The original spacers on mine measure 2 3/32" (just under 2 1/8"). On my bike, this placed the sprocket correctly between the brake pads. You might want to test this by making some temporary plastic spacers before cutting the metal permanent ones as this dimension may vary depending on how accurately the brake support stanchion is located.

Sunny

As an addendum to the above: Keep in mind that in order to keep the wheel somewhat centered on the frame, the 2 3/32" spacers from the wheel hub to the inside of the sprocket must be "offset" by the 5/8" spacers on either side of the outsides of the hub. I'm talking about the spacers from the frame to the the hub on the right side and the frame to the sprocket on the left side. Remember, the originals had only one bearing on the wheel on the right side. The left side had the bearing installed in the 1/3/8" hole in the sprocket.

Sunny

The spacer is 21/8in long

part number 1721432 from Allied Industries in Michigan--the original Little Indian guys--ask Ray. Hope this helps Bill.

Mean Dean

Ok I do not want to throw a wrench in but here goes. There were two lengths. The ones described above are for later bikes. The early bikes up to 1968 with 4 inch wheels are 1 15/16th's with 3/8 bolts. The spacer between the sprocket and the frame is 3/16ths.

Hi Dean: I'm not exactly sure what year my bikes were made. I'm also not sure how a 3/16" spacer fits into the scheme of things with mine. If it helps, the dimension between the axle plates on my bikes is exactly 6". Going from left to right.....there is a spacer (it may be the 3/16" you mean?), this hits the axle plate and against the bearing which is installed in the 1 3/8" hole in the sprocket. A snapring on this bearing is what prevents it from being pushed-through into the hub. Note: On mine, there was no spacer between the inside of the sprocket bearing and the rim.....(an arrangement I don't particularly care for and one which I will correct). There are, however, the four 3/8" I.D. by 2 3/32" long spacers on 2 7/8" bolt circle holding the sprocket to the rim. There was no bearing used on the inside of the wheel hub.........I will be installing one here for piece of mind if nothing else. Then there is the bearing in the hub on the right side with another spacer between that and the right plate. If this comes through, here are some pics of a similar bike: Message - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery

Last edited:
Hi Dean: I'm not exactly sure what year my bikes were made. I'm also not sure how a 3/16" spacer fits into the scheme of things with mine. If it helps, the dimension between the axle plates on my bikes is exactly 6". Going from left to right.....there is a spacer (it may be the 3/16" you mean?), this hits the axle plate and against the bearing which is installed in the 1 3/8" hole in the sprocket. A snapring on this bearing is what prevents it from being pushed-through into the hub. Note: On mine, there was no spacer between the inside of the sprocket bearing and the rim.....(an arrangement I don't particularly care for and one which I will correct). There are, however, the four 3/8" I.D. by 2 3/32" long spacers on 2 7/8" bolt circle holding the sprocket to the rim. There was no bearing used on the inside of the wheel hub.........I will be installing one here for piece of mind if nothing else. Then there is the bearing in the hub on the right side with another spacer between that and the right plate. If this comes through, here are some pics of a similar bike: Message - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery
Sunnyknoll, any chance you can get us a picture of exactly how the spacers are?

Mean Dean

I will get some pics. They did use two different sizes on 4 inch only. Yes a lot of them did not use a bearing on the left side rim only the sprocket. I put a bearing in the rim also with a spacer between the srocket bearing and the rim bearing to keep it in place. Other wise the bearing will not stay in the rim. Only a 3/16ths spacer between the sprocket bearing and the axle bracket. That is with the old rims with 3/8ths bolts. The newer rims use 5/16ths bolts.

Uh oh! Sorry Muffinator..............I don't know where the hell my head is today :doah: All four of my 4" mag rims are up at RP Abrasives in Rochester, N.H. being polished. Might be another week or so before I get them back. As soon as I do I'll try to get a photo up on how this wheel and spacer layout stacks-up.

Sunny

george3

If the bearings are up graded it will change the spacer width. Why dont you bolt it together without the spacers and just measure.

George: Yeah, never thought of it but I do have all new bearings. As you suggest, this may alter the length of these spacers. As soon as I get my rims back I'll bolt these together and go from there. I'm not opposed to buying new spacers and machining as necessary. Fact is , I may have no choice. As it stands, I've discarded the old axle "bolts" and bought new 8" axles from OldMiniBikes. Two of these I've already had cut to 7 1/4" long for the forks which I will fasten with thin stainless nylox nuts and stainless washers. Moving slowly but coming along!

P.S. I've got a feeling the four 2 3/32" spacers between the rim and inside of the sprocket may not change but suspect the others might.

Last edited:

Bikerscum

I will get some pics. They did use two different sizes on 4 inch only. Yes a lot of them did not use a bearing on the left side rim only the sprocket. I put a bearing in the rim also with a spacer between the srocket bearing and the rim bearing to keep it in place. Other wise the bearing will not stay in the rim. Only a 3/16ths spacer between the sprocket bearing and the axle bracket. That is with the old rims with 3/8ths bolts. The newer rims use 5/16ths bolts.
AHA!!! That may answer another question I've been struggling with.... wheels. I have at least 3 different "lil indian 4" steel wheels", your comment about bolt sizes may clear that up for me.

The ick on the wheel on the right is just black paint wearing off, it's actually a really nice wheel.

Anyway.... the wheel on the left has 3/8" holes, and needs bearings with snap rings. Correct wheel?

The wheel on the right has 5/16" holes, & has bosses extruded into the bearing cavity to act as stops, no snap ring on the bearing. Correct wheel?

I'm guessing both are, for different years?

:shrug:

My wheels are complete, I just need to get some fresh hardware and a sprocket with some spacers.

I had a hub assembly with the same bolt pattern as these wheels but I don't know if it is too long or not. If it isn't, it would be perfect for this project. May not be original but it will be very sturdy. :thumbsup:

BTW: If anyone is interested, I just found the tubing necessary for the spacers between the Lil Indian sprockets and the wheels. It's carried by a company called Aladdin Steel. The tubing is 9/16" O.D. with a .095" wall thickness and a .373" I.D.

Sunny