Started my Briggs rebuild today.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I'm rebuilding a 5hp Briggs that I got from a member here a while back. It's a stock bore cool bore block. The motor was a real mess when I got it. I tore it all down to determine if it was worth doing anything with and threw everything in the gunk tank to see what I had. Rings were shot, rod was sloppy and the crank was worn . The block however turned out to be in pretty good shape.

The cylinder measured good at stock bore and just needed honing. I ran a hone through it and it cleaned up nice. Did a light porting job just to clean up the rough edges. I cleaned up the valve seats and lapped in a set of replacement valves that I had from a donor motor. I have a good crank and rod from the same motor. I gaped a new set of rings and got those on a replacement piston that I had in my parts box. I also had a spare cam that's in real good shape so I 'll go with that one.

Just waiting on a gasket set that should be here tomorrow to get it buttoned up. I wish I had taken pic's of this one before I cleaned it up. More pics to follow

Vic

Looking good vic,I see more power to be had in them ports.Go ahead and try your hand at the eye brows too.You could mill the block down .020 too.Not the head,its better to do the block.:thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Looking good vic,I see more power to be had in them ports.Go ahead and try your hand at the eye brows too.You could mill the block down .020 too.Not the head,its better to do the block.:thumbsup:
Rocco,
I didn't want to go to crazy on this one, as it's been a while since I've been inside a flatty :laugh: Not sure I'm ready for eye brow shaving or milling quite yet. I do have a junk block that I may practice on later on. Flat head parts are getting expensive and I'd hate to screw up a good block:shrug:

Vic

Rocco,
I didn't want to go to crazy on this one, as it's been a while since I've been inside a flatty :laugh: Not sure I'm ready for eye brow shaving or milling quite yet. I do have a junk block that I may practice on later on. Flat head parts are getting expensive and I'd hate to screw up a good block:shrug:

Vic
:thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
:laugh:

Looks good Vic, any other mods you will be doing? :shrug:

Clay, this one is going to stay basically stock, but I just ordered a brand new block that I plan to scratch build an open modified with. I'll be doing a thread on that once I get all the parts I need.

Vic

old-timer

Scamming Member
Got my gasket kit today so I got the motor pretty much back together. Just have to set the coil and put the tin back on :thumbsup: Seems to have real good compression now.

Ran out of time today, but hopefully I can get it buttoned up and test run it tomorrow.

Here's a few more pics.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I was able to finish it up and test run it today. Has great compression and fired off as soon as I primed the carb. The carb needs a rebuild, as I had to keep my hand cuffed over the carb to keep it running. The carb doesn't have a choke on it, so I'll need to figure something out. I think I may have a parts carb kicking around somewhere.

The motor itself sounds great :thumbsup: So now I'll disassemble it, rebuild the carb and get it painted up. I didn't get a chance to take pics today, but I will get more the first chance I get to get back out to the shop.

Vic

Last edited:

old-timer

Scamming Member
I forgot to mention that all I did to the head was clean+polish it up as well as the crank I used. I used emery cloth to clean up the crank before installing it. I wont have time to work on it today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll see what I can do with the carb.

Then it's just a matter of making it perdy :laugh:

Vic

Sounds good Vic. :thumbsup: If you need a carb I got a older one with a pull choke that I won't be needing.

Last edited:
Vic,
Looking at your pictures, do you have the trim plate that bolts to the tank? It would have had the choke lever and throttle control originally. Those carbs can be tough to make a decent choke setup for IMHO. I may have some parts kicking around as well. I usually switch them out for the older pull choke style.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Sounds good Vic. :thumbsup: If you need a carb I got a older one with a pull choke that I won't be needing.
Thanks Clay, let me see what I can do with this one first. If I can't make this set up work, I may take you up on that. I really do prefer the old pull choke carbs much better :thumbsup:

Vic

Last edited: