Started on my Murray projects.

quick question guys/gals, i would like to get my murray to ride some trails or even climb a little hill, without putting, i have the stock sprocket, so what size bigger can i go? or can I? some helpfull tips would be great. thanks
I changed mine out to a 35# size sprocket from Azusa that has the same size bolt pattern as the Murray uses. I think OldMiniBikes warehouse carry's them now. I swapped mine out to a 66 rear and a 12 tooth front sprocket,I pick up some ground clearance and some more speed.

i just heard that the murray fact. is here in tenn. i know they build the pedal bikes but unknown on the minis. it would be awsome to go their and find a buch of discarded frames or parts lol

I was finally able to get a little work done on the bike today. I cut the factory lip off the engine plate and moved it over 3/8" to give the chain some room and keep it looking stock. And I tacked up the tank mount brackets to see how well it was going to fit.

I'm going to try to finish the exhaust this weekend so I'll have a few more pics for you guys.

There are no dumb questions here! Ask away?

The tires are Kenda 4.00-8 and the wheels are just the stock 8" wheels that come on the Murray's. If you find a supplier that sells them please let us know. I've been looking to buy a few sets to put back. But everyone I've found on the net that says they have them wait until I order them and tell me they are out of stock. :shrug: Let us know what you find out.

Oh and the stock Murry bike that I have (Tec 3.5) was real sluggish at first but after I went through the carb it woke up and ran much better. If you need more power the best bet is an engine swap. If you only need the low end power for trail riding and such a jack shaft would help, but it would limit the top speed of the bike quite a bit. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Progress has been slow going lately, the old back just can't keep up with the rest of me. :frown::hammer: Anyhow, here are a few updated pics of the bike. I still need to add a brace to the exhaust, finish the clutch cover, build an engine stop for the engine mounting plate and slap on a little paint.

I'm going to paint the tank, clutch cover, and the bare parts of the frame just to get it running and protected for now. I'm going to get a few of the other bikes running first and then I tare them down and paint/powder coat them one at a time this winter.

Thanks Rockwall! After riding my stock Murray (the only thing they need is more power)I can't wait to ride this bike. I think everyone needs at least 1 Murray!:wink:

Thanks guys! It's getting there.

After looking at the cover a little more I decided to pull the front 2 panels off of it a cut an opening in each of them. Kind of like fresh air ports for the clutch. I don't think it'll help too much but it can't hurt. :shrug: If it looks like :001_9898: I'll make a couple more solid panels and put it back the other way. I'll get a few pics after I tack them up and see what you guys think.

I went to the shop and tacked them into position real quick. Here are a few pics. I may cut out some 1/2" expanded mesh and make a couple of inserts to see what that looks like. It's hard to tell what it'll actually look like without any paint. I don't know... what do you guys think?

I didn't really like the way the cover looked with the front panels open so I tried some expanded mesh behind them. Well that looked even worse and I really didn't like the top panel at all so I made a new one. Then I made a set of louvers that I welded in behind the lower panel.

I'm happy with the way it looks now. I'll finish the welding and grinding, get it in primer, and snap a few more pics.