Started on my Murray projects.

I've started on the Murray's finally!

One of them is going to stay mostly stock for now. The wife has claimed it, so I'm going to paint it later on just in case, but she has surprised both of us so far! The only real mod I made to it was to move the seat 2" forward. If any of you guys ever need paint to match the stock Murray blue grab a can of Valspar satin Navy. It is what I used to paint the seat plastic after I trimmed it, It's a real close match as you can see in the pics.

The bike I am working on now is in the process of being cloned! I've added a set of MB165 bars that I'm going to cut down about 1 1/2" per side. I also moved the seat location 2" forward and 1" down and I flipped the foot peg brackets to give more foot room. I'm looking for a tank but if I don't find one I'm going to use one of my real Honda tanks.

The third bike is going to get a full makeover. I've put drag bars on it so far ( they will need to be cut down). I'll be adding front and possibly rear susp and I think I going to use my Animal engine on it. :shrug: OK enough chatting here are a few pics!

Thanks 5horse! Yes the Murray's are a neat looking bike (I think so anyway) and they are built better than most of the modern bikes out there. Not to mention the curves, :wink: every guy likes to see nice curves! :devil2:

edwin

hey, its the 3 amigos....lol

i rode toycartonys murray a couple of weeks ago with a 6.5 robin and a differnt set of bars and knobby tires with a smaller sprocket and let me tell you, i tought it was a great riding and handeling bike.

good job so far Corey, cant wait to see them all done!!!

Thanks edwin, I've replaced the 72t rear sprocket with a 48t so we'll have to wait and see how she runs. Just to get it running I'm going to do an air filter, exhaust, and re-jet the carb. From there who knows? It's like everything else, it's a work in progress.

I put one of them on my DB30 and the other engine was, well lets just say crispy when I bought it! Most of it wasn't hurt too bad by the fire(mostly the tank, fuel line, filter, and such) but I haven't cleaned it up yet so I have know idea of the condition. Well know that the wife has decided to claim the Murray, I may be putting a clone on the DB. I'll take the other carb and rebuild it, and slap it on to test it, and if it's any count we'll work something out. I also have a spare carb off of an ohh65 and one off an ohh50 that I may sell if that will help you out?

I put one of them on my DB30 and the other engine was, well lets just say crispy when I bought it! Most of it wasn't hurt too bad by the fire(mostly the tank, fuel line, filter, and such) but I haven't cleaned it up yet so I have know idea of the condition. Well know that the wife has decided to claim the Murray, I may be putting a clone on the DB. I'll take the other carb and rebuild it, and slap it on to test it, and if it's any count we'll work something out. I also have a spare carb off of an ohh65 and one off an ohh50 that I may sell if that will help you out?
I would much rather have the stock carb. Let me know.

Tim

Thats a nice line up of Murray bikes, I really like the one I have, It rides and handles good with the 6.5 engines and 66/12 tooth sprocket set up it runs better than the stock set up.

CCARRUTH, the old 72 tooth sprocket you replaced, what was the bolt pattern? I'm looking to replace a warped sprocket on my Manco Thunderbird. Has a 420- 72 tooth sprocket with 2 1/8" center to center mounting pattern.

CCARRUTH, Very cool you have 3 Murray's. I have 2 myself and like them a lot. They are very rare here on the west coast. I use one of mine for racing in the dirt and the other is still stock. I think I will set it up for the street? Keep us posted on your builds, I will be watching and hoping to get some ideas from you??

Thanks guys!

I have to admit the Murray's are one of my favorite bikes, of the few I've got running so far the stock Murray rides the best (but it needs more power)! Luckily they are one of the few bikes that pop up on a regular basis around here.

Bill E, I'll have to check on the sprocket for you. It may have had a slight wobble to it if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I pulled it off and I'm drawing a blank. :doah:

Thanks again guys, I'll get some more pics up in the next couple of days.

I measured the sprocket for you Bill, it's 2 13/16" center to center of bolt hole across and 2" center to center from bolt to adjacent bolt. And I was correct about it being warped a little in 2 places!

Neck, the bikes that I have are 1996-1998. I don't know when they started or stopped production but I'd like to know myself!

I made a little progress on the bike this afternoon and my wife and I were able to get in a little riding as well. :scooter:

In mocking up the engine I noticed that the clone sits a little too far to the recoil side of the bike then I like when you line it up with the rear sprocket. :doah: You guys that have a clones on your Murray's will know what I talking about! It makes the bike look fill a little whop-sided. So I'm going to use the other slots in the mounting plate (it's only going to move it 1/2" to the clutch side, but every little bit helps). To do this I need to fab up a rear sprocket spacer to keep everything in line. I didn't have any 1/2" aluminum plate so I started cutting two 1/4" aluminum spacers ( I'll tig them together when I'm done).

Here are a few new pics that shows the relocated foot pegs, the sprocket spacers (not finished), and the engine mocked up (it's still in the recoil side slots of the plate). I can't wait to get rid of that clone blue!:laugh:

Questions, comments, and criticism are always welcome!

Last edited:

MiniBike Paul

Ccarruth; As you know, out here in California Murrays are almost non exsistant - but I have 2!! One is like brand new and I am going to just save it! The other I will make into a hot rod, similiar to what you are doing!

I have not started at all on it. Question; why do you move the seat forward?? Do you use the plastic seat frame or make it in metal??

You asked for comments; I think the stock gas tank must go! Replace it with something cool! And a cool exhaust pipe!

Keep posting your Murray pictures!!

p.s. I'll take a set of those spacers too, PM a price!!!

Last edited:
MB Paul, The seat was moved forward on my wife's bike for one reason. It was to change the angle of the seat shock to soften it up so that it would cycle with my wife on it. She only weighs a buck 20 or less so the seat would not move at all even with the preload backed out all the way! An added bonus was that it was more comfortable for her to reach the handlebars and stay comfortable and the seat now looks like it fits the bike better! And after riding the bike I noticed it was much more comfortable and since I knew that I was going to add more power to the other bike I thought it would help keep the front tire down!

The seat shroud is the stock plastic that was trimmed down to make it fit and look better.

Yes sir, the stock tank has got to go!! It looks like :censure:. If you'll look close in the first pic of my other post you'll see several tanks laying by the other bike. I guess I'm going to build a tank to mount under the back bone of the frame and I'm going to try to make it look like a tank off of an old cafe racer. We'll have to see how that turns out!

I normally don't sell any parts that I build but these are really simple to make so we'll have to see! I was planing to write a how post, this would answer a lot of questions about drilling blank sprockets as well. Let me check how much aluminum I have left, I may build 10 sets or so and when there gone they're gone.:shrug: