Street Legal Baja Warrior build... The Scud

I've been working on this bike for a while now, it started out as an all stock Baja Warrior WR65 that I traded for. Been working on getting it street legal for a while now, I want it to be ready for this spring.

For performance I have removed the gov, added a billet rod, 26# springs, .265 modified cam, 14cc head milled .065 for 12:1 compression, 3 angle valve job, AGK single stage exhaust, 22mm mikuni carb, 40 tooth rear sprocket and a TAV30 torq-a-verter. I'm not sure what it's top speed is now because I need to work on my jetting and throttle cable hookup. According to a minibike speed calculator that should give me 56 mph at 5,000 rpm, not accounting for the 10% overdrive the TAV is capable of.

I only plan on riding this around town, the top speed is 45mph in the city so I should be good for speed.

For a motorcycle to be street legal in MI, it needs:
-hi/low headlight
-horn
-adjustable mirror on the left side
-tail light
-brake light
-license plate light

-front and rear brakes
-DOT tires(high speed trailer tires will work for the inspection)
-exhaust system
-seat
-handlebars no higher than 15" above seat

Everything in bold is done, just gotta work on the rest. I've found USA TRAIL tires that will fit my rims and are DOT approved for highway use. The tail light/brake light/license plate light/license plate mount is all taken care of by a fender eliminator kit...

I've already found the mirror, headlight kit and horn. Now i've just gotta get it all together and working. I've already installed the tail light thing but I haven't wired it up yet.

My main headache right now is that both of my rear fender mounts have broken. I'm thinking about making a new way to mount the fender.

Maybe using weld on mounting tabs like this, or just drilling through the frame and running a bolt through it...

I'll try to get some pictures up sometime here.

how do you plan on getting a title? don't you need a VIN or at least an MSO?

all i know is there is no way in hell i'd want to actually ride on the street around cars in this area.

all i know is there is no way in hell i'd want to actually ride on the street around cars in this area.
Well I know my bike came with a Certificate Of Origin For A Vehicle. Which has a Vehicle Identification #.

Mine has a VIN but its a transport Canada thing they consider anything you drive a car or bike ( realy a pain to import Karts for example from the USA ).

Cool idea I'd like a street leagal Baja too!

What is the tyre diameter and width?

Last edited:

My baja has a VIN engraved on the frame. Of course just to make it annoying MI will require me to get a new VIN sticker.

I'll have to get a TR-54 inspection done by a police officer, the form lists all the needed equipment to be road legal...http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Here's the official instructions from the state of MI for titling an "assembled vehicle".
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BFS-72__09-03__83315_7.pdf

And here's an informational "field update" from the MI state police regarding the registration of "non-traditional" vehicles.http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TSS_Field_Update_1_113304_7.pdf

I know I've got my work cut out for me with this but I made a bet that I could make this happen. I will have this thing on the road come this summer, hopefully all legal.

Mine has a VIN but its a transport Canada thing they consider anything you drive a car or bike ( realy a pain to import Karts for example from the USA ).

Cool idea I'd like a street leagal Baja too!

What is the tyre diameter and width?
19x7-8 is the stock size. Here are the tires I plan on using for the TR-54 inspection...

I plan on using the 18.5x8.5-8 and I'll probably take them off immediately after the inspection and throw them up for sale on ebay.

I plan on running these Kenda Road-go k572 tires that are designed for ATV on road use even though they aren't DOT approved.

My baja has a VIN engraved on the frame. Of course just to make it annoying MI will require me to get a new VIN sticker.

I'll have to get a TR-54 inspection done by a police officer, the form lists all the needed equipment to be road legal...http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Here's the official instructions from the state of MI for titling an "assembled vehicle".
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BFS-72__09-03__83315_7.pdf

And here's an informational "field update" from the MI state police regarding the registration of "non-traditional" vehicles.http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TSS_Field_Update_1_113304_7.pdf

I know I've got my work cut out for me with this but I made a bet that I could make this happen. I will have this thing on the road come this summer, hopefully all legal.
:001_tt2: lol.... there ya go ya old Grumble Bear... It can be done.. it's just a :censure: is all... It was a breeze to fudge the facts and get one for my Rupp... Yeah, I hear ya on the driving in Cali on one.. We don't have the ridiculous traffic bumper to bumper Psycho's like you do.. ER... we do I suppose, but those aren't mini bike friendly roads.. It's no different than a motorcycle.. Get hit by a semi on your Harley you are :hang: all the same...

19x7-8 is the stock size. I plan on running these Kenda Road-go k572 tires that are designed for ATV on road use even though they aren't DOT approved.
I'm running the Kenda Road-Go K572 tire on the rear of my Baja Warrior. The OEM rear knobby wore out in less than a month riding primarily on asphalt surfaces. I've had the Kenda tire mounted on the back of my bike for about a month now and can't see any wear as yet. I think you'll be very pleased with this tire.

I bought my tire from Motorcycle Superstore out of Oregon. The price was $51.99 + s & h (The shipping charge wasn't bad, either). The tire was delivered in about 6 days (2700 miles). Here's the link:

Kenda K572 Road Go Front/Rear Tire - ATV - Motorcycle Superstore

Jimmy S.

How did It go. I would love to see a pic of the mini with the whole 9 sounds cool. What did u use for a power source with the blinkers and what not.

So... It's been almost 4 years. In the mean time I bought a Honda Magna and kinda lost interest in this project between work and my wife and son. Now things have calmed down a bit and I'm getting more interested in resurrecting this whole bad idea.

Unfortunately I only recently got a house with a garage so my poor sad old baja warrior has spent the past few winters outside. Here it is now, currently trying to defrost it in my garage.

It's a slow process with air temperatures of 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Whenever it does finish melting I'm gonna tear it apart completely and start fixing it up. I plan on throwing on a new seat, new gas tank, maybe some small ape hangers, fix the fenders, and the rest of the street legal parts. I'm probably gonna try for a chopper look but this is gonna be function over form. Street legal and rideable are the priorities.

I've got a camping trip planned for June, I must complete it by then so I can tool around Higgins Lake state park in style. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about using this tank unless someone can point me to a cheaper tank that is ready to go and mounts in that same fashion.
TC Bros. 2.1 Gal. Narrow Alien Gas Tank - Gas Tanks & Accessories

Considering this headlight, I need a high and low beam, this would provide that.
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/headlights-tail-lights/black-bates-style-headlight-5-75.html

I think I'm gonna stay with the stock seat but I'm tempted to do a sprung solo seat. I really need to buy a damn welder but I'm sure the local muffler shop will help me out for a price.

Has anyone here ever welded on one of these baja frames?

Last edited:
Hey did you put that electric starter kit on the engine your warrior came with? I've been thinking about doing electric start to have more power for the lights

I bought the 6.5 clone with electric start off Ebay for $198 new. Shipped to my door. It is cheaper than buying one and converting it.

i have welded on the baja frame. decent metal except motor plate.
after it sitting outside, i would check neck and wheel bearings. all mine needed attention.

My motor plate cracked in a few spots. Welded them up and put 1/4x2x2 aluminum spacers to spread out the engine weight and bigger washers on the under side.