street legal db30

Here is a link to the regs 404error The Bug could not be "JUST" street registered but it can be dual registered. That is a street and OHV registration. That disclaimer about "not for street" is an exhaust rule, but a street/ohv rig runs the ohv exhaust. Green sticker exhaust's are more fire saftey biased and when you dual register you must accert that your going to keep the rig dual for the long term as they are hip to useing the dual registration to cheat the on highway exhaust rules.
Or did you mean you'd like to see my green stickered Bug? Cause when they hand over the temporary licesnce plate (for street) your gonna see a picture of that.
link no longer works.

trying to get my db green stickered.

Well a lot of good guesses out there and some are pretty close but no cigar.
Dont know how they did it but mopeds were able to get a paticular sticker that alowed them on public roadways.
You must have this sticker to start the process or it will not be allowed on the street. Even in Michigan.
Any guesses?

The manufacture / dealer must apply for it!

Hummmm ?

You cant apply for it.

Its Federal!!!

Last edited:
Its right next to the to the window sticker on that new car.
You wouldnt need it on an electric vehicle!

Hummmm?

The answer is the EPA sticker for street use and or highway.

They have specific Frame standards as well!

A custom bike has particular guidelines and is stamped with a specific ViN number from the manufacturing company. Only the manufactuer can have the vehicle approved for street use.
If someone had a self built or custom built bike approved then it was done thru a manufacturing company. The manufactuer would be responsible and liable; dont think they would risk thousands and thousands of $$$ and their license(s) so someone could ride on the street.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I seriously have a Rupp listed in Ohio as an "assembled motorcycle"

Its fully street legal. I have plates and insurance on it right now and ride it through my town on occassion, its a bit scary.

The DB I bought at Sears for my son back in December 2011 came with a Dealers MSO. The odd part is Baja issued it to Pepboys. It needs a bunch of signatures to do anything with it but it's a legit document.

The DB I bought at Sears for my son back in December 2011 came with a Dealers MSO. The odd part is Baja issued it to Pepboys. It needs a bunch of signatures to do anything with it but it's a legit document.
Nobody will ever get a DB tagged and street legal, the manufacturer did not intend it so the MSO paperwork is outlined in such a way as to prevent using the V.I.N. to actually register one for street use. A Warrior is tall enough and I seriously doubt anyone will ever get one of them registered, there are loopholes and those bumper car guys who mounted em on 4 wheeler chassis enjoyed street legal status until someone noticed and put a halt to it. I applaud the OP's efforts but am afraid they are in vain.:no:

Yes there were several of older mini bikes that were titled and streat legal. Rupp had several models; most of them 80cc.
A lot like the chinese 150 cc scooters that are sold as streat legal now; however they now have to have EPA approvial.
I seriously have a Rupp listed in Ohio as an "assembled motorcycle"

Its fully street legal. I have plates and insurance on it right now and ride it through my town on occassion, its a bit scary.

Get one of those minitrail copy bikes, they are street legal. I think they are 120cc now. Go like 50 mph. Look to be a little bigger than the original. With the gears it would do fine around town. White knuckle it on the highway, get a long hair whig and wear a peace sign helmet. Now your getting it done.

In Virginia if it has two wheels, <50cc engine, and top speed is under 35mph it's classified as a moped and is legal on the street with no registration, or license, etc. You have to be over 16 and wear a helmet. The city of Virginia Beach even has a guidance document that specifically discusses gas powered "mopeds", "pocket bikes", and "mini choppers". All legal on the street without a license. I've read the state regulations, and can see no reason a traditional style minibike would be any different accept for the size of the engine. That said, has anybody ever tried to mount a 50cc engine to a minibike frame? Preferably one with a torqe converter of some sort. Might make a sweet, street legal (in VA) mini.

Amusingly enough, I can't tell you how many "scooters" I've seen on the main roads with no plates, no helmet on the rider, and going way over 35. I suspect the rules are interpreted very loosly, and the cops don't really want to deal with it.

in New York state,we are subject to Arrest if caught on the Roads OR the Sidewalks....!
we`ve been caught a few times,told to walk them,ran a few times as well,got away,until the day the sheriff came right into the back Yard chasing my kid who didnt even know they were behind him..that was funny,good thing i knew the sheriff.

meanwhile,the kids next street over drive a golfcart all over town at speed.....yeah.:eek:ut:

15mph and under is good with no license or anything at least in mn
Actually in Minnesota you have to have an electric motor or 50cc or less gas engine and neither can exceed 2 brake HP so that rules out DBs, and you also cannot exceed 30mph on one. These are scooter and motorized bicycle rules, both of which are legal on the street. DBs are categorized as off road vehicles, more likely than not they would impound the minibike if they caught you riding it on the street even if you kept it under 15mph.

In semi-rural Louisiana I ride mine all over , just not on the main roads and the Cops wave to me when they ride by , a good box of donuts goes a long way :laugh:

Actually in Minnesota you have to have an electric motor or 50cc or less gas engine and neither can exceed 2 brake HP so that rules out DBs, and you also cannot exceed 30mph on one. These are scooter and motorized bicycle rules, both of which are legal on the street. DBs are categorized as off road vehicles, more likely than not they would impound the minibike if they caught you riding it on the street even if you kept it under 15mph.
thats for mopeds if it only goes 15 its classified as a foot scoter i checked the dmv