Taco Time!

Order Up! This Taco is done. Had my first ride today, and it was fun. This bike is my best shot at restoring a Taco Super 100 to original condition with a Tecumseh HS40, old shroud, box muffler, etc. What do you think?

You can see more in the Project logs section including the craigslist photo from when I bought it last summer for $150 as a complete bike with a broken Briggs 5. Thought it was a regular Taco 100 until I saw the front shocks and the 8 inch rims.

mybiz

Not to drift off the subject But how did they come up with the name TACO hummmm? I've got idea on how they probably came up with many of the other brands and models But taco all i can think of is someone eating a taco and drinking some Tequila and building a mini bike and said well call it a TACO anyone know the real story:confused:

Not to drift off the subject But how did they come up with the name TACO hummmm? I've got idea on how they probably came up with many of the other brands and models But taco all i can think of is someone eating a taco and drinking some Tequila and building a mini bike and said well call it a TACO anyone know the real story:confused:
Take the time to read this page. the answer you are looking for is in there:thumbsup:
STEEN'S History

Last edited:
Nice work. Now, paint the MOTOR the correct color and the group will all treat you to TACO BELL.

TT :wink: What is the paperclip for? Are you mailing a letter??

HFHFIHI99Udjfhhiwehiw94v uv5ujitjijtitojojol

Last edited:
Paperclips and paint!

HaHaHa! I put the paperclip on instead of a cotter pin to see if you guys were paying attention. Thanks for all your replies, you are paying attention and I appreciate all comments and criticism alike.

George, thanks for the encouragement along the way!

GTO: I thought I'd call it done when everything was together, working, and I was first able to ride it. It took some great pictures, and look, no DB or "foreign object" clone stuff. However, with "some" input from our most insightful (opinionated) readers, there might be some finishing touches yet to appear. The kickstand really does work, I just wanted the bike more upright for better pictures. The kickstand seemed original as it came with the bike, but I'd agree that a little longer one might work better and probably showed up on other S100s. So, where'd ya get them flatbar footpeg rubbers for yours? Is the GTO Super 100 "officially done," with that Briggs, no less or are you looking for an all white HS40?

I gather there may be some group sentiment that I should paint the whole engine the correct white to make it look completely stock. 1994 Honda Passport white is the correct color I'm told. Hmmm, I really liked the stripped and polished bare aluminum block and the orange, blue, and yellow accents on the tins, breathers, and linkages to give some visual interest. I guess purist (show restoration) thinking seems to prevail. Well, I don't have the original HS40 and this one has no serial number plate. And now I;'m worried that next you'll tell me the gas line and filter aren't OEM.... well, maybe I'll just put blue (Bonanza) hose on to really piss everyone off.

Or maybe I might just ride it a while with all those colors on the motor, and yellow fuel line, then throw on one of my Hodaka motors and see what an F-85 or a ST102 rides like. May have to find/fab a rear sprocket that will work with the Hodaka.

Thanks for pointing out the Steens History link. It really is well worth worth reading. Great detailed insight into how much of the sport was named. I'm not sure I'd agree that the Super 100 is yet a mini trail (4 Hp Tecumseh is a mini bike motor!), but I think the F-85 and the ST102, both with the Hodaka motors, definitely are in this next category in the evolution of the sport.

Now we need to hear how Plymouth chose the custom purple for the 'Cuda and when it became known as "Plum Crazy."

here's a before, after, and a brochure (what we think it should look like):

Back to Work? It's lunch time, Taco's anyone?

Taco is in the ride and tune, ride and tune, tinker stage. I wanna adjust the rear brakes some more, but they are easy to adjust and work nicely. The honda drum setups seem pretty nice and really stops this bike. I'm also thinking about putting on new chains as every once in a while I hear a link hang up. I soaked, de-rusted, and reused the chains that came on the bike. Any thoughts? Perhaps when everything is working perfect, I'll paint the motor all white...

Gotta start getting more welding done on my other project, a Bonanza mini chopper #2 for the boy. He's getting bigger every week! That frame has had the butcher's big Z removed already. The front forks also needed repair then creating a bunch of stuff to re-chrome. Maybe $300 worth, chrome has been the most expensive part of my Bonanza mini chopper rebuilds. I'm thinking of powder coating the frame because the rattle can engine paint chips so easily... The Bonanza mini chopper restoration seems to cost a lot more than the Taco because of the chrome and because Bonanza parts seem to cost more than the variety of parts Taco used for the S 100, I.e. Gemini rims, etc. I guess the Taco restoration was more an appearance and mechanical redo and the Bonanza requires a bunch of frame and frok restoration.