Taco Von Dutch !

tomsprops

Let me say "Sorry" up front . I don't have any photo's yet.
I just ran into a friend of mine who is Dutch's nephew .Yes as in Kenneth Howard "aka" Von Dutch. His ears perked up when I mentioned i had a Taco Minibike. He said " Dutch built him a Taco44 with a Honda CL100 engine back in the 60's and he still has it ! Trust Me, he has everything his Uncle ever gave him,Knives,Guns,Bikes(The last Bike Dutch ever made ) and even a Cannon ! It's a full size Cannon at that ! !
I will get over to Birds compound this week to get some photo's this week ! Wish me Luck !:thumbsup:

SpyGuy

Boy, I was about to rip you a new one ..... Most of the kids nowadays think "Von Dutch" is a designer label, not one of the greatest pinstripers to ever swing a brush ....

Yes, please, get as many pictures as possible. Does the nephew paint, too? If so, maybe you can get a Von Dutch signature flying eyeball painted on your pullstart cover.

tomsprops

Spy guy I'm not a Kid any longer but I've lived most of my life in Calabasas where Dutch lived as well . I think the thing Bird shares most with his Infamous Uncle is They're both "Dicks " !
Sorry to offend anyone but thats the best way to discribe both of them . :thumbsup:

Recently, the name Von Dutch came up in conversation. I had not heard of him personally. "Moss" was a pin striper in Van Nuys. (1974-1976)

I would bet Toms Props went to Taft High School. El Camino is a middle School..

Near 'Tenessee Gin and Cotton' a hang out in the 80s.

TT :wink:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Ah! she graduated 6 years before you, her mom still lives about a block form the high school.

SpyGuy

Spy guy I'm not a Kid any longer but I've lived most of my life in Calabasas where Dutch lived as well . I think the thing Bird shares most with his Infamous Uncle is They're both "Dicks " !
Sorry to offend anyone but thats the best way to discribe both of them . :thumbsup:
*laffs* Not surprisingly, I've heard that a lot about Von Dutch from many hot-rodders. "Big Daddy" Roth was quite a character, too, and used to hang with him. I'd love to see some of their stuff up close and personal .......

BAB, thanks for the link to Von Dutch's page.

*laffs* Not surprisingly, I've heard that a lot about Von Dutch from many hot-rodders. "Big Daddy" Roth was quite a character, too, and used to hang with him. I'd love to see some of their stuff up close and personal .......

BAB, thanks for the link to Von Dutch's page.
My painting mentor, Pete Pasillas, worked at "Crazy Painters" in the 70's...started by Baron, Tom Kelly, and Roth in the 60's. Funny how Von Dutch ran from the spotlight, while Roth ran toward it. I'd heard that Roth ended up in La Mirada...George????

I remember seeing the Pin Striping being done on cars while we were waiting to go into the show to set up the car displays. That was in the late 1960's at events like the Trident's Custom Car Show held in the Los Angles Great Western Exhibit Hall. My friend had a 1956 Nomad that very often won best Paint. We saw Big Daddy Roth there often.
Steve :scooter:

SpyGuy

I got a Lady Luck T-shirt personally autographed by Big Daddy at one of the car shows ... great guy, and pretty big, too. Definitely not someone to get annoyed at ya.

Back on Von Dutch, though .... not sure why he liked staying out of the spotlight. The man sure did know how to lay down the lines ..... often imitated, never duplicated. Von Dutch was one-of-a-kind.

I have a buddy that worked at "the ranch" up in Santa Paula back in the day and this is a common theme amongst those that knew him. (Von Dutch) Same buddy has a lot of origional "art" from his practicing on common items. Sledge hammers, vice grips, flashlights, etc. whatever was at hand after a few drinks.
I am always amused when I see 'Gansta hip hop people of color wearing Von Dutch clothing. If they only knew. :doah: