Tecumseh cosmetic restoration

ive got a few questions as a beginner. im wanting to do a cosmetic restoration of this motor to use on my arco build. its a good running engine, it just needs a good cleaning and a coat of paint. i want it to look new again and just curious as to what paint to use and if theres anywhere to buy replacement decals? any pics of what it should look like finished would be useful as well. I also plan to do a tune up(change oil, spark plug, new clutch, etc.), wondering if theres anything else i should replace or modify to make it run better? thanks for the help in advance:thumbsup:
20150203_194842.jpg 20150203_194910.jpg

Decals are on Ebay.

Scrub it down, sand down the rust, primer, then paint.

I like Autolite 458 plugs. Always new oil, and a new clutch is good insurance.

ive got a few questions as a beginner. im wanting to do a cosmetic restoration of this motor to use on my arco build. its a good running engine, it just needs a good cleaning and a coat of paint. i want it to look new again and just curious as to what paint to use and if theres anywhere to buy replacement decals? any pics of what it should look like finished would be useful as well. I also plan to do a tune up(change oil, spark plug, new clutch, etc.), wondering if theres anything else i should replace or modify to make it run better? thanks for the help in advance:thumbsup:
View attachment 68860 View attachment 68861
You would need the arco decal on the recoil so maybe slap an older style one on There. Also one of these has the checkered flag Tecumseh decal.

markus

thats a cool decal, I dont think anyone is repopping it as of now you may find it in some old stock though or if you do a parts breakdown search of it on like partsree you can see what decal options that engine had. I've worked around them before if they were in good shape.

I taped the decals off on this one in order to save it (the indian Head was perfect) and then media blasted and polished the shroud.

this is a Really early west bend and even though the decal was a little beat I did not want to loose it so I did the same thing, when I did the final urethane clear I peeled the tape off, cleaned it real good and laid the clear right over it to save it..

lousy pic but you get the idea

currently rotting away and collecting dust and dings unfinished in my shop :doah:

thats a cool decal, I dont think anyone is repopping it as of now you may find it in some old stock though or if you do a parts breakdown search of it on like partsree you can see what decal options that engine had. I've worked around them before if they were in good shape.

I taped the decals off on this one in order to save it (the indian Head was perfect) and then media blasted and polished the shroud.

this is a Really early west bend and even though the decal was a little beat I did not want to loose it so I did the same thing, when I did the final urethane clear I peeled the tape off, cleaned it real good and laid the clear right over it to save it..

currently rotting away and collecting dust and dings unfinished in my shop :doah:
Oh I just assumed that decal was being made , just cuz its so iconic. Maybe if I get a good enough one I'll send it to Peewee. I did see one more silver one under some rubble that looked in good shape.

Nice West Bend. God I'd love one of those!

I'm really not looking to do a true nut and bolt restoration, and I'm really digging the bare metal side cover. The decal on my motor is probably usable, I was just gonna replace it if there was a repop. Thanks for all the ideas fellas