The “Rare” CAT Twister Trike

Well here's a short video of the "shake down" run....

[video=youtube_share;HnuEM2GDttQ]https://youtu.be/HnuEM2GDttQ[/video]

The plan was for my son to make progressively faster laps around the parking lot as he got comfortable with it......after the 3rd lap or so he pulled in and said it didn't feel right and it was slowing down.....

:eek:hmy:....holy crap!!! it's a good thing it decided to walk in instead of flying off....:doah:

If you watch the last lap you can actually see the wheelbase narrowing and you hear a "squawk" when the wheel starts to rub the frame...luckily just a little scuff that's hardly noticeable...

I TRIPLE checked all of the fasteners were tight before we left....but the 1/4-20 set screw still backed out....:confused:

I'm thinking I'll drill a small pocket in the axle and use a longer set screw with another set screw on top to "jam" it....unless somebody has a better idea :shrug:

The upside is everything worked pretty well...the turning radius is even better than I thought it would be......:smile:

My kid had a smile from ear to ear, he said it feels really cool when it's trucking along....:scooter:

Last edited:
That's great Gerry, glad to hear you guys are enjoying it because that is what it is all about. :thumbsup: I tried the video but it didn't work because it said it was private. Not sure why. :shrug: Otherwise it is really cool. As for the set screw I would just drill a pocket like you said, because when I built my go kart I had the same problem and that is what I did and I haven't had a problem since. :thumbsup:

video works now:thumbsup:nice work kk:thumbsup:
on our race karts we have locking collars on the axle to keep the hubs from sliding in.
they just lock on the axle on the inside of the hub.have tightened the hubs as tight as we could and still slid in. never happened after we put the collars on

Neck

Growing up is optional
I TRIPLE checked all of the fasteners were tight before we left....but the 1/4-20 set screw still backed out....:confused:

I'm thinking I'll drill a small pocket in the axle and use a longer set screw with another set screw on top to "jam" it....unless somebody has a better idea :shrug:

Try cutting some spacers for between the wheels and the axle bearings before you go drilling into the axle Gerry. You may want to drill and tap the ends of the axles for retaining bolts too.

The scariest part was trying to chase him on the RUPP...holding the camera in one hand and riding cross armed......I almost spilled off that thing a couple times..:doah:

Try cutting some spacers for between the wheels and the axle bearings before you go drilling into the axle Gerry. You may want to drill and tap the ends of the axles for retaining bolts too.
I could try the spacers...I really think I just have to get the set screw to lock because it had backed off a lot!! PLus I'm more worried about it going the other way and coming off the bike...I cut the axles so they are flush with the end of the hub or even a little below flush depending on where I set the track width....I'm using a couple of those RUPP chrome tubing plugs as little "hub caps".

I could drill and tap the end of the axle as you suggested...just gotta figure a way to do it that's not ugly....