This could benefit all members, decal sharing

I'm thinking if media is actually available and durable then why couldn't our little OldMiniBikes site have an area where members could store and download images and just print the decals using standard apps like Adobe or Corel (ok, not all that std) or ????? That would benefit us all. And for those members who are technically challenged, they could buddy up with a mentor member!
Making graphics isn't hard for some and I'd share!
In fact, it would be a blast to make these! All we’d need to start is a good scan or pict of the original in some jpeg or tif format, standard for cameras, and some working together????

Here’s a site that seems to have good media that would work in most home printers, not rocket surgery!

Waterproof Inkjet Winyl Self-Adhesive Media

This is white background but I’m betting it could be also clear?

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=184&tabID=ts

http://www.stevechannel.com/decals.htm

Last edited:

Oldsalt

On this subject of sharing: I had a number of Caper Cycle decals made and determined that there were 8 extra ones. Offered them for free here on OldMiniBikes but only go rid of 4, therefore 4 more are still available. If anyone has a Caper Cycle [or two] PM me a street address.

In this case I am not at liberty to share the graphics by giving a disk to anyone...the guy that does our race car graphics did the art work for free...I feel it's his property.

By the time you buy the various papers, laminates, Oracal meterials that won't even come close to working in a regular injet printer at home.. yer gonna spend more time and money than just paying someone to make the decals..
Most decal sets I tackle consist of a fees that range from $20-$40 for a "design and set up fee"... (chump change by any sign shops standards) Then of course the cost of the decal.. that can be $10 for one .. up to $40 for a complete set... do the buddy system and split the design fees...
Do your own artwork and save a few bucks.. but there still will be a "set up" fee.. because believe it or not... this isn't like at home.. "hit print" and presto! Out comes a sticker..

Not saying you guys can't do it... Waterslide decal material is out there.. But I have $30k in printer,Color ribbons, laminator,cutter equipment here in my studio that has that price tage for a reason... Buy Gerber EDGE Printers
not trying to sound like a @#ick .. But there really is a lot to it :smile:

Last edited:

45t

By the time you buy the various papers, laminates, Oracal meterials that won't even come close to working in a regular injet printer at home.. yer gonna spend more time and money than just paying someone to make the decals..
I agree.

I know my Duster Decal thread kinda lead into this thread discussion. I would love to be able to make my own decals at home but i know it will be a lot cheaper to have someone do it. My friend that is doing my decals has the equipment and know how to duplicate the decals better than anything I would be able to produce. Just my 2 cents, to each thier own.

I TOTALLY agree your stuff looks top shelf quality!
And not trying to be a cheapa$$ but believe it or not, some of us like doing either the computer graphics or artwork, just flat out fun and pretty much relates to our bikes. and no, I don't plan on buying a 30k printer!

That's actually still a good way to go on this site if we can share images or use what's been designed by some mini company and then have them print them.

I'd be totally willing to share my stuff once I do them and then some company can print it after the setup or cost of materials they want to charge.

Believe it or not most of what I see on the sites isn't what my bikes are, but I believe other have odd bikes also.

Thanks.. you'd be suprised... I've had people say "I'll send ya picture only if you give me one free" ...... Or others say "I'm not sending you a picture.. why so you can make tons of money?" ....Really? LOL! Tons of money? LOL! Who's really benefitting from this?... Me? selling a few $10 stickers each month... Or you guys.. the guys that need them? And love what you do... I have a morgue file of old pics of Mini bike decals on my pc.... I'd spend days recreating them..
Plesase send me a link to that thread... :scooter:

oldfatguy

these are some that I would like to have made, I saved the images to use one day to print them. I was thinking that if enough of us want the same decal we could all share the cost of having them made.

I'd say $35 design fee / $15 set up.. $17.99 decal cost for both.. (based on the assumption that the fork plate decal is rather large, and one round decal) ..Those are some poor pictures though... are those repo decals? ...

oldfatguy

I'd say $35 design fee / $15 set up.. $17.99 decal cost for both.. (based on the assumption that the fork plate decal is rather large, and one round decal) ..Those are some poor pictures though... are those repo decals? ...
that's not too expensive,I would be interested in having them made if some more guys want them we could all share the costs instead of one guy paying almost 75 bucks for a decal. This might even be something that OldMiniBikes parts might want to be part of but only if they know that there are enough sold to cover the setup costs. Lets see how may others are interested. I copied those pictures when I found them so that I would have something to copy. Someone might have an original that could be used.

oldfatguy

anyone interested in sharing the cost of having some arco decals made ? Does any one have an arco decal that you can take some pictures of ?

When I went to do my K&S restoration here is what I did. I took the forks off of the bike and laid them in a common flatbed scanner. I scanned the "Hornet" sticker. I used Photoshop to fix the scratches in the sticker. I saved the file as a jpeg onto a thumb drive. Anytime I want to have stickers printed I go to Staples and they print them up on a self-adhesive paper that has a clear waterproof cover on it, it is very cheap. I have sent out a number of stickers out to other OldMiniBikes members at no cost to them because my costs are minimal. I don't know why that wouldn't work for any of the other stickers mentioned in this thread.

Last edited: