Three Wheel Mini bike conversion

Hey guys, I am sure this has been done before but I figured i would try my hand at It. I going to convert my Mini bike into a three wheel dragster (pictures coming soon)

What I have is I believe a Bird El Tigre from the 70's. I have a Honda Clone on it currently with gov removed, 18lb valve springs, header, K&N style intake and re-jetted carb. (billet fly wheel and piston as wheel as 22mm carb coming soon).

Here is my plan: (feel free to leave any suggestions or ideas)

I am going to do a live axle in the rear. This will consist of welding bearing hangers and all. not sure on the brake yet but im pretty sure I will eventually do a disc break. Currently I have a clutch brake

Here is what im ordering:

1"bearing kit 1" Bearing Kit (3 hole) (400400), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

1"x 32" live axle 1" Live Axle (4000**), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

unihub sprocket hub Unihub - Sprocket Hub (AZ2556), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

1/4" keystock

Some 1 piece locking collars

and a #35 split sprocket WMS #35 Split Sprocket (6135**), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

I will also be ordering wheels hubs and 6" wheels.

Is there anything else you guys can think of that I would need.
Let me know
Pics coming soon

getting all my parts in today, will get pics up later tonight of the progress.this will also be my first time at welding, so we will see how it goes. lol. I am also thinking of adding a jack shaft. I dunno we will see how she sits once its all mocked up.

Well got all the parts in and got the bearing retainers welded in, but ran into a slight problem. The hubs i got can with the bolts already attached and i cant figure out what nut to use. Its a 5/8 bolt i believe but the 5/8 nut will not thread on it. I tried and ended up bending and stripping one of the bolts. Now i have to figure out how to take those bolts that are stuck in place out and replace them on one of the hubs. o well more work tonight.

zeeman

I made a three wheeler out of my first minibike back in the early 70's. It did not have as much get up and go. I guess because of all the extra axle stuff, and weight. It was fun to ride though once it got up to speed. I had to loosely attach a piece of 1x4 wood through the front fender bracket to use as an improvised scrub brake since the rear would not work any more with the two back tires. I have a picture of me on it somewhere. I need to find it. I doubt the picture would show much detail of the construction though. I might even have the original drawings I made when I designed it. I hope yours works out well.

joekd

Great, now you all have me tempted to build a trike out of my spare warrior frame

Can only imagine the fun it is driving with a hardtail live axle

The repair on the sprocket is not the best looking weld but it works , I have no idea when it was done but it has held up to the beating we gave it so far .

I am sorry for Hijacking your thread but I thought a picture might inspire you to build one .

Last edited:

Hey.....somebody stole my Twister design!!!! :mad:

....only they must have done it when I was 10 years old....:rolleyes:

that's a crazy sissy bar on that thing, and I dig the square headlight :thumbsup:

buckeye

Would love one of those. I have a three wheeled mini
it has a cool differential. Dont know what to do with it. Thing is real small.

toomanytoys

The repair on the sprocket is not the best looking weld but it works , I have no idea when it was done but it has held up to the beating we gave it so far .

I am sorry for Hijacking your thread but I thought a picture might inspire you to build one .
How does it handle without a differential

Okay I got a lot of work done last night. welds are not pretty but again its my first time. I will take use off my angle grinder when its time to paint. I did a few test runs over some rough terrain and the seem to be holding up I also had my 240lb friend stand on the seat.

I have run into one slight issue, turning sucks. I don't know if it is cause the rear wheels are to wide, or if the front forks are not raked enough, any ideas?

Here is the bike before:

And here are some build pics:

Somewhat finished:

Like i said its not done yet, but i really need to figure out the turning situation, right now I really have to lean out to take weight off the inner wheel while turning. for example when turning right i have to lean left to sort lift the right rear wheel up. :shrug:???

I will be adding a jackshaft to get some better low-end.

I also plan on getting a shorter seat i think.

The way I mounted the live axle brackets was so if i ever wanted to convert it back to a two wheeler I still have the wholes for the original shaft.
More updates this weekend.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated